• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: check out the sax sounds at patchman music

Share/Bookmark

check out the sax sounds at patchman music

here is a link to the patchman music demos for their new turbo chip for the vl70m http://www.patchmanmusic.com/MattTraum.html I like the tenor sax sounds the best especially the getz patch and Michael who wrote a great review of it on this page Tom Scott used it on his last album there are some nice trumpets and a good chromatic harp Im curious to see what all the people that think there is no such thing as a good sax sound out there think, I have used one the last few months with a wx11 wind controller and love it

Re: check out the sax sounds at patchman music

Well Jeff,

I just listened to some mp3s of the VL-70m with turbo chip and indeed: both playing and saxes sound very impressive indeed! Definately beats samples, unless maybe you spend ages and ages of tweaking.

Given the age of this little device, one wonders what can be done with more up to date and more powerfull modelling power...

You know what'd be cooler? - If I could find the bloody demos.

go to the link I posted and they are in the middle of the page, he could make them easier to find Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff4h; 08-09-2005 at 08:24 AM. Reason: made a mistake

The only drag is the VL70's lack of polyphony, making it a PITA to compose with (unless of course you already have the piece finished in your head) thus I use mine to add solo's or little artistic elements. For that it works great. I just wish Yamaha would consider the composer/performer and not just the performer!

---------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by DPK
    ---------------------------------
    what does that mean?

There's some pretty crazy playing on one of those demos! Sounds almost believable at times. If you can play EWI that well though, wouldn't you just pull up a typical sci-fi or retro EWI patch and pull out your real horn for the real horn lines? Let's face it- you'd have a real horn if you had an EWI- and good EWI chops!
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

I have an EWI, and the answer is no. My background is recorder, and I don't play any Boehm instruments. Plus the EWI can trigger sounds you can't play on any horn, such as flute.

EWI + Yamaha VL1 (the ultimate version of the VL70m) = bliss.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    The only drag is the VL70's lack of polyphony, making it a PITA to compose with (unless of course you already have the piece finished in your head) thus I use mine to add solo's or little artistic elements. For that it works great. I just wish Yamaha would consider the composer/performer and not just the performer!
    It would be very interesting to see a product like the VL70 with multitimbral capabilities, but I'm betting that this might come about sooner than later. There is a definite R & D effort building towards a less articulation/sample-heavy kind of virtual instrument.

Ironically, I find myself wishing that more products would consider the performer. The vast number of products are more geared to "assembly" than performance.

Even though the VL is a solo instrument above all, I'd sure like to see a multitimbral one. (You can split a VL1 into two if you're using single-element sounds, which is what the VL70m does, but there are some compromises.)

However, the reason Yamaha all but abandoned what I consider the crown jewel of synthesizers a decade ago is that not enough people wanted it. As Avery Burdette (product manager or similar) puts it, if you walk into a music store and try it, it sounds broken. You have to spend a little time - not much, but some time - learning how to play it.

So I'm not optimistic that we'll see that kind of a product. They actually had a multitimbral VL synth ready to go - I've seen the manual - but they never released it. It was going to cost over $20K, if I remember right (the VL1 was $5K or was it $6K when it came out; I bought mine for $1100 when they were being blown out).

As I've posted before, none of the VL1 emulations sound 100% like the real instrument, but because of the way it responds like the real thing, it has the exact same effect. And of course you can make some really nice "acoustic" instruments that don't "really" exist but sound like they could, along with some excellent "analog" sounds.

It's a frikking amazing instrument. The VL70m is the "toy" version of it, although Matt Traum (Patchman) has replaced the ROM with his sounds, which are excellent for the most part.

I find the idea of a license policy that doesn't let you resell an instrument that has a replacement ROM chip installed to be ludicrous, but the price is very low for what it is and the quality is very high.

Go Back to forum