• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What Mac should I get for GPO?

Share/Bookmark

What Mac should I get for GPO?

Unless there's a very good reason not to, I'm deciding (after 20 years) to switch to Macintosh. I'm fed up with the Windows platform.

I've got my eye on the rev.B iMac G5, but if the Mac mini is truly capable of running GPO well, I'll certainly consider that route!

Power Mac costs too much. Can't afford it, plain and simple.

Absolute maximum budget of $1800 CDN...

But does GPO run well on the Mac platform? Any better or worse than the WinXP PC platform? Mac users, please help me out! I'd love to move to Mac to make my time-wasting game library incompatible! (being crash/virus-free is a big bonus.)

Thanks!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Re: What Mac should I get for GPO?

Bluemax: You can get an Apple G5 dual 1.8 refurbished for 1499. I highly recommend this over an iMac primarily because of the ease of access to installing hard drives, audio cards, ram, etc and because it will take on heavy duty music better with the second cpu.
    If the URL below doesn't work, go to apple.com->store and down on the right side you'll see a red "Sale" tag.

<http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71001/wo/vy5iRtWXGe9u35jSspT1RnvNnCz/0.0.11.1.0.6.63.0.0.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?86,54>

I have an iMac, G5 1.8 ghz, 2G Ram, and GPO works very well. I have no experience with a dual cpu, so others will have to help you out, there. Also, I can't comment on the performance in comparison to Windows - I've been in the Mac world since, ah well, it's been a while...

I hope it all works well for you.

R. Pearl

Powermax also has an Open Box dual 1.8 PowerMac for $1499 + no sales tax.
    The DP PowerMac G5 is considerably more powerful than an iMac G5 (about 40%) though the iMac G5 will also work for you. My iMac G5 1.8 works fine with all my software. My sequencer now includes a freeze tracks funtion which takes a big load off of the CPU. I don't think the Mac mini is a good system for music unless your needs are pretty basic.You can check out the PowerMac G5 at Powermax here.
    http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/g...cgi?i=PM_CN_G5

Cost is a major factor here. I could buy a clearance Dual G5 1.8GHz system for about $1700 Canadian (a steal!)

...or a ver2 G5 iMac for only $1400 which would include my monitor. That's a big savings which would allow me to get an extra gig of RAM (for 1.5GB total, a good number!) as well as a MIDI interface, possibly attached to a good audio system like the M-Audio Audiophile USB. (Unless there's a very, very cheap MIDI interface like the serial Macs of old...)

Yes, I know expansion is limited, but I won't fill 160GB anytime soon (if ever!) and I won't need fancier video ever. They seem to have fixed the overheating issues in version 2. The only REAL issue is having enough processor power to run GPO with *absolutely NO trouble, and then some!* without breaking the bank.

Hope I'm being sensible here....

The iMac G5 is a fine machine, but I have to go along with the previous advice here. Even if you have to wait to upgrade the memory, you're going to get a lot more mileage out of the dual-processor G5. Not only does it have more power, it holds more RAM.

If you like GPO, you're going to like other libraries and plug-ins as well, and I think you'll be glad to have a little computer overhead.

You will fill up 160GB, by the way, and RAM is cheap enough these days that it shouldn't be a serious factor in your decision.

It would be nice..... but it's money I don't have. Period.

Then unless you absolutely have to have it right now, maybe you should wait. I don't want to be patronizing, but I don't get the impression you're someone who upgrades computers all that often.

Think about two years from now. You're going to want to run things that aren't out yet.

And even though I've been working on Macs all day long for the past 20 years, I have to say that cheap Windows machines are a lot more powerful than cheap Macs. You might be better off going that route until the treasury gets more flush.

but....but.... I really wanted to LEAVE the Windows platform! I suppose you have a good point and all, but I just can't justify it....

Maybe I should stick it out on the PC a while longer.... It IS cheaper.

Go Back to forum