• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is sampling rate of the GPO instruments?

Share/Bookmark

What is sampling rate of the GPO instruments?

Hello
    I have a 24 bit/192 khz audio card with Sonar 4 producer that operates in the full bandwidth of my sound card.
    I can choose to operate Sonar 4 in 16 bit mode or 24 bit mode. Which mode should I use with GPO? I have Pentium 4 3Ghz with 1 GB Ram & 40 gig hard drive with all the latest updates of GPO and Sonar.

It seems to work fine in 24 bit/192khz mode-am I getting the full quality or is it being upsampled to 24 bit? My goal is for CD output, but it would be nice to have 24 bit master files on the computer for future output. Sonar does downconvert 24 bit to 16 bit with a special POW-r resampler. Of course, the sound quality drops in the conversion, even if ever so slightly.

I was wondering what are the samples of GPO - is it 16bit 44.1 khz? I must say it certainly does not sound like 16bit 44.1 khz - it sounds better, so I suspect that GPO must be using higher quality samples.

Thanks for any advice!
    -Eric

Re: What is sampling rate of the GPO instruments?

GPO is 16 bit, 44.1 KHz. You can use 24 bit in Sonar but sample rate should be set at 44.1 KHz. You'll then need to dither to 16 bit for CD's as you've been doing. I don't think you'll get any better audio quality being at 192 KHz sampling rate but you'll eat up hard drive space when bouncing tracks.

In GPO studio you can set the sample rate. Does this mean that if you set the sample rate anywhere above 44.1 it will sound the same quality as 44.1?

Hmm... My soundcard forces me to use a 48000 rate with ASIO.... Is this eating CPU?

Quote Originally Posted by DZComposer
    Hmm... My soundcard forces me to use a 48000 rate with ASIO.... Is this eating CPU?
    CPU eating is less of a problem than the "forced" samplerate convertion that _will_ occur sometimes in the signal chain.

With Creativelabs ASIO cards you have a choice.
    1)Let Native Instruments's GPO player upconvert each samples from 44.1 -> 48 on the fly (by putting your Host, or GPO studio at 48Khz).

2)Leave the host at 44 Khz and let the Creative labs ASIO drivers do 44.1 -> 48
    (creative cards only run at 48/96 when doing ASIO its what the emu chip does afiak)...

Case 1 means EACH sample will need to be upsampled by the Kontakt engine (taking more cpu), while case 2 means letting the creative labs asio drivers upconvert the "whole mix" into 48 Khz. Mind you this upsampling is only done at the complete end of the signal chain before sending the audio to the card's outputs. If you render this file in the host, it will be 44.1 and will not suffer any sr convertion artifacts

Let your ears/setup stress be juge.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Go Back to forum