• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT-PC version of Garageband for kids!

Share/Bookmark

Question OT-PC version of Garageband for kids!

Hey Everyone,

Is Acid the closest thing to MAC's Garageband for young kids to have fun with loops, etc.

Garageband has a pretty instant gratification. Any PC programs that approach that?

Thanks for your help,

Mr. A

Re: OT-PC version of Garageband for kids!

PCs are not for kids - buy them a Mac...

KIDDING!

ACID Music Studio is $70 - perhaps it's worth a whirl? Given that there's a free trial, I'd think it would be worth putting it in front of you kids to see how they like it. I also remember Sony doing a "Super Duper Music Looper" kind of app that seemed geared toward the younger set, but I've not see it since I left Sony.

And for the record - Garageband was created *AFTER* one of ACID's chief architects was lured away to Apple. Just for clarification, ACID came first.

EDIT: found the link to "Super Duper Music Looper" - for $19.95, it's hard to go wrong...

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

There's so much more to Garageband than just loops. It's a pretty powerful creative tool. I don't believe there is anything else like it for either platform.

Sincerely,

Rob

I agree with Rob. I just finished a recording project that involved my Mac Mini and Garageband to record a 3 song promo disc for a friend. GarageBand was easy as pie to record real instruments and edit them. I have 3 Jam Packs for it and the additional amps came in handy for the guitars. When I was done all of the recording and editing, I imported the files into Logic Express where I could further mix them- Garageband needs a virtual mixer like Logic has to see all of the instruments at the same time. But it worked really well nonetheless.

Thumbs up Re: OT-PC version of Garageband for kids!

Thanks for the responses. Houston, I'll check those products out. Yes, I'm aware that Acid was first. I've never done the ACID thing, I was a MAC guy, so I'm not familiar with how drag & drop simple Acid is compared to GarageBand.

The boys just want to throw loops together and create tracks, time stretching to tempo, simple stuff!

Thanks,

Mr. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes

And for the record - Garageband was created *AFTER* one of ACID's chief architects was lured away to Apple. Just for clarification, ACID came first.
    Mac people will soon think that apple invented the multibutton mouse...
    http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

/Tobias

Quote Originally Posted by rob morsberger
    There's so much more to Garageband than just loops. It's a pretty powerful creative tool. I don't believe there is anything else like it for either platform.
    That's because hardly anyone has bothered to notice the extensive recording and surround mixing capabilities of ACID - it's been about a lot more than loops for a looooong time. They've had MIDI recording and editing, added VST instruments and effects since their latest version, making it a pretty impressive host for everything except music notation.

I remember when the Apple "Soundtrack Pro" came out and there was a talking-head promo piece from Walter Murch - whom I respect a great deal - talking about their "new feature" offline process history feature in Soundtrack. Even Apple's web site boasted:
    Discover a whole new way to interact with your audio. The Soundtrack Pro waveform editor gives you extensive audio file editing capabilities and lets you perform non-destructive, sample-accurate manipulations of audio. With the action list, you can reorder, change, suspend or delete any edit or process action at any time — making it easy to experiment with different sound design tasks or recall, refine and modify any edits or repairs. An action insertion bar lets you quickly recall past edit and process locations. You can apply all included effects and third-party audio unit plug-ins to the audio waveform non-destructively as actions, which means you can tweak parameters long after you’ve applied the effect.
    The interesting thing of course is that this feature has been part of the Nuendo/Cubase SX architecture (on both PC and Mac platforms) for YEARS. In a way I can reasonably understand it - as I don't spend too much time looking at what the Mac platform is doing other than what I see and hear at trade shows. But when I see sweeping statements - sometimes I can't help but lay this kind of thing out there to at least provide some form of context to why it's not necessarily "as simple as that".

There's going to be much bally-hooing of how Windows Vista is so much like Mac OSX - but they're both derivative systems. Mac's OS comes from the venerable NeXTStep interface and FreeBSD. The new Windows Kernal should have layers of abstraction more akin to UNIX variants, just for security reasons alone. It's reasonable to think that file system structures and other core features that impact the user experience will also migrate in the same direction. Just because Microsoft was making so much money that they could wait two more years to go there doesn't mean that they're copying the Mac. And just because Apple steals their product ideas from third party vendors and stuffs it into their OS distribution (without getting sued for anti-competitive behavior, unlike Microsoft) doesn't make them an "innovator".

One man's lie is another man's "market position".

That's all very interesting Houston but it has very little if anything to do with the guy's question.

Sincerely,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rob morsberger
    That's all very interesting Houston but it has very little if anything to do with the guy's question.
    Well Rob - if you look carefully - you'll see that I actually answered his question in an earlier post (included a picture and links, to boot), and simply followed on Tob's comment to provide a full context to one of the assumptions profferd in your post.

Lee, relax. I'm not defending anything, but more aptly providing context.

I'm sure that there is some form of "prior art" on the multi-function mouse before Microsoft adopted it as a standard input device. Likewise, the Mac has had some nice multi-button input devices since before the PowerMac days - it's just that they are now seeing fit to make it part of the standard equipment. I don't think the Microsoft affectionados have grounds to declare the Mac as a copy, but I'm sure that it will be hailed by some as "a great innovation".

I just think that many users are accustomed to not looking too hard at the full field of applications before they accept Steve Jobs' marketing blurbs as gospel. My post was not aimed at Mr A, or Rob, per se. It was targeted at all of the other readers who would come to this thread, not knowing boo from Apple, and come away thinking...
    I don't believe there is anything else like [Garageband] for either platform.
    ..can go by without a second glance and be accepted on its face. Well - sorry - that's not going to happen while I'm in the conversation. Again, it's not a matter of bashing one or defending another, but more of ensuring that the full context is shared amongst all of the conversation's participants - even those that simply choose to lurk here. No harm, no foul - just seeking clarity.

Go Back to forum