• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Two Piano Demos - by Tom Sheffer

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Orcas Island
    Posts
    11,454

    Two Piano Demos - by Tom Sheffer

    Tom Sheffer has sent in two piano compositions.

    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/ts-TalesOfAdventuresOld.mp3

    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/ts-TheLastPiourette.mp3

    Tom writes: 'The first piece is called: "Tales of Adventures Old" and tries to convey the image of an old man's tales of past heroics and adventures. The second piece is called: "The Last Piourette" and tries the convey the image of a prima ballerina's last dance.'

    Both are very well written. I found myself lost in them. Tom is a fabulous player - nice touch and very expressive. It seems perhaps Chopin and Liszt were influences.

    Tom looks forward to input from the forum members.

    Thanks Tom for sending this in for all of us to enjoy!

    Gary Garritan

  2. #2
    Senior Member valhalx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Wine Country, Colorado
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: Two Piano Demos - by Tom Sheffer

    First off, welcome to the GPO Forum, Tom. These are superb. The writing and performance are top notch. I especially like The Last Piourette. And I agree with with Gary, very Chopin like.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

    My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

  3. #3

    Re: Two Piano Demos - by Tom Sheffer

    Really terrific.


    I liked the first pice better. More romantic and modern. Although the second one as one posted above is very chopin-esque. kind of reminds me when I played chopin nocturnes when I was young.
    Chef Marco Teti
    www.TheSwordLord.com
    (Fine Replicated swords)

  4. #4

    Re: Two Piano Demos - by Tom Sheffer

    Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    First off, welcome to the GPO Forum, Tom. These are superb. The writing and performance are top notch. I especially like The Last Piourette. And I agree with with Gary, very Chopin like.
    Thank you very much Valhalx. Chopin is a very strong influence in this piece.

  5. #5

    Re: Two Piano Demos - by Tom Sheffer

    Quote Originally Posted by Superb_Tenor
    Really terrific.


    I liked the first pice better. More romantic and modern. Although the second one as one posted above is very chopin-esque. kind of reminds me when I played chopin nocturnes when I was young.
    Thank you Chef Marco. I really appreciate your input.

  6. #6

    Re: Two Piano Demos - by Tom Sheffer

    Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Tom Sheffer has sent in two piano compositions.

    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/ts-TalesOfAdventuresOld.mp3

    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/ts-TheLastPiourette.mp3

    Tom writes: 'The first piece is called: "Tales of Adventures Old" and tries to convey the image of an old man's tales of past heroics and adventures. The second piece is called: "The Last Piourette" and tries the convey the image of a prima ballerina's last dance.'

    Both are very well written. I found myself lost in them. Tom is a fabulous player - nice touch and very expressive. It seems perhaps Chopin and Liszt were influences.

    Tom looks forward to input from the forum members.

    Thanks Tom for sending this in for all of us to enjoy!

    Gary Garritan

    Gary,

    Thanks very much for posting these pieces. I am flattered by your comments. I love the GPO piano.

  7. #7

    Re: Two Piano Demos - by Tom Sheffer

    Tom, you've done fine work on both of these; writing, playing, and realization.

    The second piece, The Last Piourette, is especially lovely -- that Chopinesque opening is beautifully done, as are the stylings throughout; and I found the piece quite moving, overall. Great job! I doubt that better could be found in the salons of Liszt's time.

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  8. #8

    Re: Two Piano Demos - by Tom Sheffer

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Tom, you've done fine work on both of these; writing, playing, and realization.

    The second piece, The Last Piourette, is especially lovely -- that Chopinesque opening is beautifully done, as are the stylings throughout; and I found the piece quite moving, overall. Great job! I doubt that better could be found in the salons of Liszt's time.

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    David,

    You made the day for this GPO weekend warrior. Thanks for listening and your comments.

  9. #9

    Thumbs up Re: Two Piano Demos - by Tom Sheffer

    Simply great stuff man!!!
    As a mediocre pianist, I love to hear what people really able to play the piano (as you are) can do!!
    Your pieces are really fantastic.
    I like the way you mix the classic with the modern style.
    I would like to hear your piece along with scenes in a movie.
    Anyway these pieces are simply beautiful.

    Hope to hear more of your music,
    Roberto

  10. #10

    Re: Two Piano Demos - by Tom Sheffer

    Quote Originally Posted by beach
    Simply great stuff man!!!
    As a mediocre pianist, I love to hear what people really able to play the piano (as you are) can do!!
    Your pieces are really fantastic.
    I like the way you mix the classic with the modern style.
    I would like to hear your piece along with scenes in a movie.
    Anyway these pieces are simply beautiful.

    Hope to hear more of your music,
    Roberto
    Roberto,

    What an honor to receive your comments. Now, if I could only orchestrate and write for orchestra half as well as you I would be very happy. You're Oboe suite (your original GPO) is sublime. I played it for my wife and kids and they, too, marveled at its extraordinary beauty.

    Thanks again!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •