• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Cool Dept: Web Software Applications

Share/Bookmark

The Cool Dept: Web Software Applications

Innovations in web technology are ushering in a new era for internet-based software applications

Instead of software being resident on your hard drive, web based applications are hosted on the net rather than the operating system that runs a PC.

The problem with past web apps was that it was slow, clunky and inefficient. This is no longer the case.
    "For a user it is fundamentally different -- it feels like a real application," said Rael Dornfest, chief technology officer for O'Reilly Media.

"Evidence of this evolution has been popping up everywhere in recent months, with examples that include Google's online map rendering software [a must see!] and its Gmail service, Amazon's A9 search engine and NetFlix's DVD rental platform. All highlight a dramatic rethinking of web applications, using a programming technique dubbed AJAX (for asynchronous JavaScript and XML) that significantly improves how web pages interact with data, for the first time rivaling programs that run natively on the desktop."

Microsoft is rumored to be showing a web development tool similar to AJAX after the company's developer conference in September.

Perhaps web applications will find its way to audio. Already there is web based notation being developed.

Since music is collaborative, maybe it makes sense to make music apps off the desktop and onto the net.

Imagine online apps where users can jam or have online concerts with players in different locations - all in real-time. Web based orchestras a possibility?

What are your thoughts on these possibilities?

Gary Garritan

Re: The Cool Dept: Web Software Applications

Although digital audio and video are still very bandwidth intensive, MIDI data is very cheap. If you have local apps on your PC/Mac to handle the rendering of the data, online collaboration via MIDI in real time is extremely feasible.

Which means that someone's probably doing it even as we speak!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Although digital audio and video are still very bandwidth intensive, MIDI data is very cheap. If you have local apps on your PC/Mac to handle the rendering of the data, online collaboration via MIDI in real time is extremely feasible.
    Bandwidth-wise, sure -- but talk about latency!
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Innovations in web technology are ushering in a new era for internet-based software applications

Instead of software being resident on your hard drive, web based applications are hosted on the net rather than the operating system that runs a PC.

Gary Garritan
    Not likely that I will do it. Too many possibilities of losing control. Too much time on line. I expect that it will require a new aresenal of software on the pc to use the software not on the pc. It will surely require broadband service, which is not practical in many locations, and if it were available, it would be an additional expense. Sounds like a great way to entice people into buying yet more equipment. For my purposes, at present, the tools that I use mainly, GPO, Sonar and Sibelius are quite adequate, and I can spend my time writing music rather than fussing with technicalities, learning new techniques (again) which won't make me a better composer. Not to be overlooked is that the internet seems to suffer from rheumatism quite frequently, because it sure crawls along even more slowly than my creaking bones.

If I see that such a move would be of benefit to me, I would consider it. Such is not now the case.

Richard aka Devil's Advocate

This concept is as old as time-sharing and has the same pluses and minuses.

I personally might experiment with some of the new toys if it wasn't important to me that the application be secure, private, reliable, etc.

Chet

Performance requires company. Composition requires solitude. As Dylan Thomas put it: In my craft or sullen art, exercised in the still of night, when only the moon rages, and lovers lie abed...etc

Go Back to forum