Streaming: (BIG = 640x480)
    RealPlayer Hi | BIG QuickTime Hi | BIG Windows Media Hi | BIG

Download (right click and Save as..)
    Real | Quicktime | Windows Media

See Tom like you've never seen him!

Enjoy,

Gary Garritan

Re: Tom Hopkins spills the beans in an Interview on Sonicstate.com

What a fascinating interview.It was interesting to get some historical perspective on the Sample Lib. scene. I hope Tom has an apprentice,to whom he is passing on his phenomenal knowlege. Does Tom have any help in the programming chores ? Is it considered normal in the Samle Lib. Scene for all that work to be done by one guy?
    I am stunned with admiration for what he has achieved,and consider us all fortunate that it is a Jazz Musician, who is programming the upcoming JABB Lib.There are nuances in the sound of Jazz,that I think only a player would pick up on.Chromatically sampled key-clicks.... Man, talk about detail.
    regards

Tom:

It was such a pleasure to watch you explain what GPO is all about and how it originated. Everything you said was so structured, clear, concise and comprehensive that it was easy for ANYONE to understand where GPO came from, where it is, and where it may go.

Thank you for an enlightening and entertaining interview. It was great to see you "in the flesh."

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

He just GETS IT, people!

Tom, have I ever told you you're my hero?

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Tom is a very special person!

Great interview!

Dan

Thumbs up Re: Tom Hopkins spills the beans in an Interview on Sonicstate.com

You da man Tom!
    Styxx

You can say that again! Tom really covered it from head to toe. I know that the new upcoming libraries are going to be awesome, since he knew exactly what I was thinking about - expressive control, filters, pitching variations, and what not. Not sure if he mentioned pitch variations but I know that would be on his mind. Pitch variation makes for some great string section realism. Not sure how it would go on the saxes, but I guess it would be nice. I think that the tongue and slur articulation he spoke about was pretty spot on.

Going by the demo mp3s, I must say that the new Jazz library is better than Candy which I previewed demos of. This jazz library seems to blow everything else out of the water both in simplicity and in expressivity.

Tom, you rock... Thanks for all your hard work...

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    Demo MP3s?!?!? WHERE?!?! I'm gonna wet my pants if I don't here something from the jazz library soon!
    I've got to second that thought, but waiter, hold the incontinence, please - just sheer lust will do...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    I hope Tom has an apprentice,to whom he is passing on his phenomenal knowlege.
    No apprentice, but Gary and I have been talking about doing something like that soon. The number of projects has become rather overwhelming for one guy who can't seem to get his congressman to add more hours to the day. I'm not sure how "phenomenal" my knowledge is but I will admit to having a brain that is crowded with all kinds of arcane and sometimes trivial litter. I'm not sure it's safe or desirable to clutter someone else's brain with the same flotsam and jetsam! A scary thought . . .

Does Tom have any help in the programming chores?
    No, the programming chores are all mine but I do have help with the sample editing/looping chores. That makes a big difference - I'm only half as crosseyed as I'd be if I were doing all the sample editing too. I'd name the guy who so ably assists me on editing but I'm not sure he wants to be identified publicly.

Is it considered normal in the Samle Lib. Scene for all that work to be done by one guy?
    There is nothing "normal" about anything in the Sample Lib. Scene! Honestly, I don't know how the tasks are divided up with other companies. I think it probably has more to do with the size of the company and number of employees that determines just how heavy the work load is for any individual. I would gladly turn the majority of the workload over to a crew of "worker bees" if I had them.

Let me thank everyone for all the kind comments. I'm just amazed that you managed to watch the interview without falling asleep! That was the first extended interview I've done and, considering that I didn't even know there was going to *be* an interview until about 5 minutes before it happened, I guess it turned out OK. There's an element of being in front of a firing squad when that big camera is being aimed at your head!

Tom

Go Back to forum