• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - Holly BGEEZZISS!

Share/Bookmark

OT - Holly BGEEZZISS!

This is freaky.
    Last night.
    I'm going through some old tape machines for answering systems and come across one of those micro cassette systems for phones. After inspecting I noticed a tape still loaded. Plugging it in and finally finding the listen back outgoing message button I pressed it and ... (My father passed away some ten years ago.) I hear singing, "summer - Indian Summer". "You've reached ******** Joe ******* please leave your...." It's his voice. Damn, I didn't know he could sing! Would have made a great Baritone.
    Styxx

Re: OT - Holly BGEEZZISS!

Heartbreaking...don't think I could have taken it...

Part of me wants to hold on to it. The other part says I should let it go.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Save it - please. Maybe your kids (if you have) would love to hear it at some point.

Transfer it to your workstation and archive it. If I had some tape of my departed Dad, I would, and we weren't even that close...

Even if you do save it, it doesn't mean you have to listen to it. But if you trash it and some day you want to be reminded of your Dad's voice...

Regards,
    Jim

P.S. I visit the forum regularly but rarely post - for some reason this just jumped out at me...

Oh Styxx, I can only imagine. The only advice that I have is that once it's gone, it's gone forever and there may be a time when you need that tape for comfort etc. You may regret it later if you throw it out

Steph

Nah...hang onto it. Things like this can be little 'treasures from the past". Sad, yes...but then so is life.

But the lighter side of answering machines: when my boy was about 14 he decided to change the message on our answering machine withut me knowing it. I'm in InfoTech, so was constantly getting support calls at all hours of the day and night. He changed the message to something like the following:

"HELLO!"

<pause for the caller to say something, then he interrupts with>

"My Dad's just stepped outside, let me put you on hold while I go get him."

At this point the message ends, the answering machine beeps, and the poor unsuspecting caller is left thinking he has been put "on hold"...caller eventually hangs up.

All I get on my end is a bunch of messages with no voice, people breathing into the phone, murmuring, etc while they wait to be taken off "hold".

It was weeks before I called my own number and found out what he had done! Cracked me up...too funny to get him in trouble over it!
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Don't let it go! You will regret it forever if you do. Copy it and keep each copy in a safe place. You don't have to listen to it. Just knowing it's there and available if you one day should want to listen again, that's priceless. And you don't trash your old photos of him, do you?

I wish I had a recording of my father - he too passed away ten years ago.

Definitely keep it!

(Another 'mostly lurker' that had to speak up here )

Remco

definately keep it

keep it. but dont listen to it.

Go Back to forum