• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question: has anyone used/had experience with the new East/West Symph. Voices?

Share/Bookmark

Question: has anyone used/had experience with the new East/West Symph. Voices?

Hi all, I'm trying to see if anyone's had experience or information on the new East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Choirs... this is the whizbang package that has the "wordbuilder" utility where you can supposedly get the choir samples to "sing" whatever you type in. It's about nine hundred bucks, and I'm trying to figure out whether it's even worth considering (and saving for!). Any feedback would be SO appreciated!
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Re: Question: has anyone used/had experience with the new East/West Symph. Voices?

Quote Originally Posted by stmain
    Hi all, I'm trying to see if anyone's had experience or information on the new East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Choirs...
    Stmain,

I got the Symphonic Choirs during their "introductory offer" period for around $600 (I know that Gary will eventually release a choir, but since choral music is my main interest I decided to go ahead and jump in...of course Garritan Personal Choir is still on my list when it does get released!).

The samples sound great, but don't believe all that you hear about Wordbuilder. It is NOT that easy to use (even using the sample Wordbuilder files from the Wordbuilder site). I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet, but it seems that getting it to say something simple like "Kyrie Eleison, Christe Eleison" shouldn't be so hard (Vocaloid Lola was much easier). There's a video around somewhere from Winter NAMM that shows how easy it is to use, but that has not been my experience.

Now, of course, you have to take the above with about a half-a-ton of salt. I'm not that good at sequencing yet...so in the hands of someone with more experience it might work better.

just my $600 and $.02...
    ;-)
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Re: Question: has anyone used/had experience with the new East/West Symph. Voices?

At the price point that it's at ($1000) and all of the hype that was given to it during it's pre-release stage, I was actually a little disappointed by the demos when I originally heard them. I thought Bela D's Giovani sounded better personally (though it's a children's choir). I think I'll wait for his adult choir (Voci) to come out before I commit any large sums of money to a choral library.
    Tim

I don't have it, but looked carefully at the user forum. I deduced that getting the samples to sing with Votox was an art form in its own right. Pity. The idea is great.

I think that this demo below is pretty good. Nick Phoenix has also posted a decent example as well. Remember it's early days for a lot of the users. When the MIDI masters get to grip there will be some lovely stuff to be sure. As ever, the results won't be favourable for those who haven't the knowledge and patience to tweak around.

This is quite brave as there is no orchestra to hide behind. Cappella singing....I gather.

nlamartina's

'Some Things Are Okay To Say'

http://www.lextechmedia.com/misc/SomeThings.mp3

I just can't understand why folks are still investing so much time in, say, the highly competitive area of piano libraries (which are already better than the real thing! ) when there is so much left to do in choral and other areas.

I wonder if some elements of the Synful technology couldn't be combined with Melodyne technology to enhance results.

Frank

Frank, this is certainly not a reflection on you.

The harmonies are nice, but they sound drunk.

Whad ees th poin uh thi tenaogy eef eet duh sent werc?

I know they figure plenty of people will buy it, they can't return it cuz eet doan werk. They laugh all the way to the sample developer bank.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Frank, this is certainly not a reflection on you.

The harmonies are nice, but they sound drunk.

Whad ees th poin uh thi tenaogy eef eet duh sent werc?

I know they figure plenty of people will buy it, they can't return it cuz eet doan werk. They laugh all the way to the sample developer bank.

Dan
    My goodness Dan, that's a little ungenerous and perhaps out of character?!! Remember that God blessed these guys with the talent and ability to produce this software. God willing, things will improve with time. It's early days in the choir sampling business.

I beg you, give them time. They say they are already working on it to improve its ease of use.

I greatly admire people of vision who go out on a limb and produce something. I really do think it's too early to start stoning them.

Cheers

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    I greatly admire people of vision who go out on a limb and produce something. I really do think it's too early to start stoning them.

Cheers

Frank
    You're right, of course...and the samples do sound great! So I'm currently happy to work with the "oohs" and "ahhs" while I figure out how Wordbulider works. I just wish that making it "sing" was as easy as the video made it out to be.

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Thanks for everybody's feedback.... sigh. I guess I was hoping to hear it was really intuitive, etc. The problem is that I'm trying to do some publications of choral anthems (and other stuff) and I'd REALLY like to have even a half-decent choral sound (and not just aahs and oohs) to make demos with.

The real question is: will Gary's GPOA (for which I'm panting like the rest of you) contain a choral library of any extent? Because, to be honest, I'm in the same boat as SouthportJim (see above): I'm not really that good with my Sonar4 sequencer yet -- I tend to work with Finale and find that easier. So, actually, even if I got the EWQLSC, I'm still not sure I'd be able to work with it...

which brings me to another question (which I'll post in the Finale 2006 section also): is it possible to bring ANY sounds other than GPO into Finale 2006?

Questions, questions! Too bad I'm spending so much time futzing around with gadgets and not enough composing!

Thanks for any feedback, y'all...
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

You're right Frank, it was out of character for me. I think until they get it to where you can actually make out words, they should just stick with nice sounding chromatically sampled ooh's and ah's.
    I was kinda harsh, sorry.

Dan

Go Back to forum