• Register
  • Help

Topic: Setup help badly needed!

Share/Bookmark

Setup help badly needed!

Hi..

Ok... I have a problem. I'm not sure where its located but perhaps someone has an idea.

P4 3.0Ghz
    2GB ram
    Audiophile in slave, and Delta1010 on main daw.

On my giga pc my sound distorts when I play it too loud. By too loud I mean that its distorts. Thing is that I am no where near peak inside Gigastudio, but my soundcard monitor shows i'm peaking. If I just turn down the volume (which could have been an option), my audio routes back into my main daw FAR too low... I have to compress and normalize too much for my liking.

Any ideas? To recap... sound distorts when I play the higher velocities of my giga instruments. I dont peak in GS put I do peak on my sound card. If I turn the audio down, its far too low when recording it on my main daw.

Thanks

Re: Setup help badly needed!

I had a similar problem with my gina and it turns out that I was fiddling with the soundcard's control panel and I made the output at 0 or plus 3, which was way too much.... When I brought it down to like minus 6 or minus 12, it sounded fine... There may lie the problem...

Thanks... that will however give me the second problem with the low audio input to my main daw.

I think I know what some of the problem is, but not really what to do with it. It seems releated to Gigapulse.. when I add an instance to an instrument the audio becomes louder, which is fine. However the mixer in GS does not register the increased volume, but my soundcard does. So... if I adjust the volume accordingly it sound fine, without distortyion, but makes the input to my main daw very low.

So maybe that can be fixed somehow? Thing is, everything is turned up... i'm clueless

I thought you meant you were lowering the output in Gigastudio, sorry...

No prob... I may have found a solution... My delta1010 has a volume boost on the rack... it seems to do the trick. But i'm a little hesitant that it might mess up the sound quality

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    No prob... I may have found a solution... My delta1010 has a volume boost on the rack... it seems to do the trick. But i'm a little hesitant that it might mess up the sound quality
    If, by volume boost, you mean the little buttons on the back, next to the i/o jacks....

Those are the -10/+4 basic output selectors. What you describe sounds as if you had them set at -10. Using the +4 setting is the proper setting for pro/prosumer audio gear. The -10 setting is for home stereo line levels.

Setting these will not adversely affect your audio output. The low input levels you were getting in your main DAW were likely due to the mismatch that you solved. You should not have to run anything at an excessively high level when all of your inputs and outputs are matched--so it sounds as if your problem is well solved.

I hope so... Now however the audio in my speakers is extremely loud... I have my monitors 2 volume clicks from 'off' and its !"#"#% loud

Hi Christian, sorry I skim-read your post, but do you have different bit depths set? Perhaps, if one is at 32bit and your slave is at 16bit perhaps you have an amplitude mismatch?

Although, I dont think this would lead to distortion though... hmmm
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Go Back to forum