• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Banner ads getting too greedy?

Share/Bookmark

Banner ads getting too greedy?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Is it my imagination or do the northern sounds advertisements get greedier and greedier of system resources? One does an activeX program, another (sampletek) causes my cpu utilization to go up and the type speed to slow... what's going on?

Nothing else on my system at the moment, unless a virus .....

Re: Banner ads getting too greedy?

No probs here

I didn't see anything strange, everything ok in this wonderful forum
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

I got a plugin for Mozilla that can block ads and practically any image ona website... hmm, me likes... actually, for alot of forums like this one I tell it to block all images.
    Brain Edwards

Must be your imagination!
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    Is it my imagination or do the northern sounds advertisements get greedier and greedier of system resources? One does an activeX program, another (sampletek) causes my cpu utilization to go up and the type speed to slow... what's going on? .....
    What's going on????

It's not your imagination. You found us advertisers out. Our insidious plot has been uncovered

We have put special software on our banner ads that can see everything that you're doing.This is what's slowing your system down

Yes, Gugliel - I see you. I won't say what you're doing as it may be too embarrasing.

And I see Nick and Bruce and Frank and just about everyone from my banner ad spyware.

GPO banner ads are a very small (less-than-45kb) Flash file that would have no impact on system resources.

Have to agree with the topic here and cpu indulgent graphical overloading advert nightmares are a particular beef of mine!

The Sampletek one has been the worse so far - completely killed the response on my PC so as I was typing, characters were appearing with at least one second delay and sometimes worse.

My internet PC is my original DAW - a dual 550MHz PIII with 768MB RAM. I got a lot done in Sonar and Cubase with this setup but now I find that one poorly designed instrusive advert brings it to its knees quicker than the more complex task of mixing music. That is crazy.

I wouldn't mind if these unwanted extras enhanced my surfing experience but they don't and just plain and simple, get in the way. (As I typed that last sentence, the VSL banner at the top caused the keystrokes to stop). Advertisers should realise this has the opposite of the intended effect. I never click on them and do my best to scroll them off the screen to reduce CPU load.

Anyway... doubt much can be done about it.

Mark

Mark, get a firewall, and you'll never see them, and they won't hassle your computer...

I think that's it! Many of our computers are optimized for audio, and have weak graphical capabilities (mine, at least) -- so a graphics-oriented banner ad really does slow things down. Will track down some of those blockers ... maybe move to firefox finally. Garritan, what am i doing NOW? Ha ha ha .....

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    . Garritan, what am i doing NOW? Ha ha ha .....
    Looking on Northern Sounds for the past few minutes of course . Now you're....no you're not...I don't believe it!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast