• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: No luck with Finale 2006 and GPO Full

Share/Bookmark

No luck with Finale 2006 and GPO Full

Hello,

Ok .. I give up struggling and have come here sheepishly to try to find help.

My copy of Finale 2006 arrived this morning and I have spent the best part of the day trying to get this to work with my full GPO. I have read endlessly the helpful comments and advice in the sticky threads but still no success. I believe the answer is staring me in the face and I am missing something so obvious it'll probably leap off the page and drag me into the computer if I don't sort it soon.

After a while I decided to start with a clean slate: I uninstalled my old copy of Finale and my GPO. I then reinstalled my 4 discs of my original GPO, then reinstalled my Finale 2006 then installed the updated GPO file (v1.1.8.3). After this I double checked that the file PersonalOrchestraVST.dll was in my Finale 2006 VST folder. When I opened one of my Finale files everything seemed to be there in Studio view ... but there is no sound when the file plays. When I change the Midi setup to SmartMusic SoftSynth .. the file plays.

Can anyone help with this please.
    (1) Any ideas of what I need to do to get Finale to play my file through my full version of GPO.
    (2) When it eventually does play, how can I check that my Finale 2006 is set up to play my full version of GPO and not the version bundled with Final 2006.

Many thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: No luck with Finale 2006 and GPO Full

Hi Michael,

I too have just received 2k6 and within a couple of minutes of installing realised this isn't going to be an easy ride! Rest assured, the contributors to this forum are very knowledgable and will get things sorted for you. I decided to update the Kontakt player in readiness for 2k6 and that has created problems for me (see below) so I'm leaving 2006 well alone for the moment. I shall follow this thread with interest as I too want to get the new Finale edition up and running. For the benefit of our friends in the States, 2k6 landed with us here in the UK today so we are a little behind you in the learning curve! Graham

Unfortunately I haven't gotten F06 yet, but from what I have read I believe you have to check "Play Finale through Native Instruments AU" in MIDI Setup, when you want old files to play through GPO.

Read this

Michael,

If you are using full GPO as a VST in F2k6, you don't use GPO studio.

Open up a file in Finale, then select Midi - Native Instruments VST Setup.

Check the box for "Play Finale file through Native Instruments VST"

Then click the down arrow in the first VST Instrument slot, select Garritan Personal Orchestra (not Finale GPO) then click on the Edit box next to that slot.

Michael & Graham - whereabouts are you in the UK? Perhaps if there's enough interest we could get together some time with a few others for a Finale/GPO/Beer session??
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Michael,
    Michael & Graham - whereabouts are you in the UK? Perhaps if there's enough interest we could get together some time with a few others for a Finale/GPO/Beer session??
    Hi Richard,

An excellent idea! I live in the middle of no-where on Dartmoor, Devon. I've often thought it would be good to meet up with some 'local' GPO folk - so thanks for suggesting it. Let's keep in touch and sound out some other locals. I'll let you have my e-mail address tomorrow (as 'tuther half' is telling me it's time to switch off now!)

Regards, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Hello,

After a while I decided to start with a clean slate: I uninstalled my old copy of Finale and my GPO. I then reinstalled my 4 discs of my original GPO, then reinstalled my Finale 2006 then installed the updated GPO file (v1.1.8.3). After this I double checked that the file PersonalOrchestraVST.dll was in my Finale 2006 VST folder. When I opened one of my Finale files everything seemed to be there in Studio view ... but there is no sound when the file plays. When I change the Midi setup to SmartMusic SoftSynth .. the file plays.

Can anyone help with this please.
    (1) Any ideas of what I need to do to get Finale to play my file through my full version of GPO.
    (2) When it eventually does play, how can I check that my Finale 2006 is set up to play my full version of GPO and not the version bundled with Final 2006.

Many thanks.
    Michael,

Sounds like a configuration issue with the Kontakt Player or your sound card. Could be volume is det very low. Are you using a separate soundcard or the built-in sound in your computer? You may have to go to the audio output and assign the audio device. We you getting sound with the bundled GPO in Finale? I need more information in order to help. If you want you can email me and I'll do my best to get you going.

Gary Garritan

When I opened one of my Finale files everything seemed to be there in Studio view.
    This may sound like a basic question, but did you load the instruments into the Kontakt player (found in MIDI -> Native Instruments VST/AU Setup -> click the "Edit" button)?

Your VST/AU setup is not configured automatically for existing documents, no matter what it says in Studio View. You have to load the GPO instruments manually.

Your VST/AU setup is only configured automatically for new documents created using the Setup Wizard.

Many thanks Graham, Nickie, Richard, Gary and Thad. It all appears to be going well now. Thanks also to Joseph who helped via PM (an Overture 4 fanatic helping out a Finale user!!!).

I tried Thad's suggestion to set up a new file using Finale's setup wizard and it worked. I had been trying with an old file which had to be configured manually.

When I used the Setup Wizard I got an error message; 'Missing required plugin: Garritan Ambience or Reverb'. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Many thanks again to everyone. Apart from the above error message all I have to do is get it all to work with the Human Playback feature.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

When I used the Setup Wizard I got an error message; 'Missing required plugin: Garritan Ambience or Reverb'. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
    I'm assuming you have downloaded and correctly installed the latest version of the Ambience plugin.

If so, well, unfortunately, the default file supplied with Finale 2006 does not recognize the latest version of Ambience (1.0.5).

The workaround is to either import your Finale 2005 default file and use that to replace the Finale 2006 Maestro Font Default (which has a number of additional problems as well)... or, you could also revert to version 1.0 of Ambience until MakeMusic releases an updated default file. [Which will hopefully happen real soon.]

As far as configuring Human Playback goes, you may want to take a look at my post here.

"When I used the Setup Wizard I got an error message; 'Missing required plugin: Garritan Ambience or Reverb'. Does anyone have any ideas on this?"

I had to install the Finale Kontak player for this error to go away.Installing the Finale Gpo sounds is a good idea also. It stops the "cannot find content" error for the Finale Kontak Player.
    You will still be able to use your original full version of Gpo.

Go Back to forum