• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Education...how are you pursuing?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Education...how are you pursuing?

Question:

How are you keeping up in your musical learning?

• Are you taking formal classes or lessons?
    • What are you reading? (techical, theory)
    • Have you given up on education and are hacking away at just writing?
    • Do you have plans for upgrading your knowledge?

Re: OT: Education...how are you pursuing?

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Question:

How are you keeping up in your musical learning?

• Are you taking formal classes or lessons?
    • What are you reading? (techical, theory)
    • Have you given up on education and are hacking away at just writing?
    • Do you have plans for upgrading your knowledge?
    Currently it's all self-paced study and it jumps around a lot (read "undisciplined"). My current reading/study list includes:

Books:
    "Medieval Music" - Richard Hoppin (along with the Norton Anthology for same)
    "Modal Counterpoint, Renaissance Style" - Peter Schubert
    "Simple Composition" - Charles Wuorinen
    "Arvo Part" - Paul Hillier
    "Explorations in the Application of 12 Tone Techniques to Jazz Composition and Improvisation" - Bruce Arnold
    "New Musical Resources" - Henry Cowell

The bookshelf also includes the usual suspects for orchestral, harmony, and counterpoint reference, but they are currently used for reference, not study (Adler, Piston, Fux, etc.).

Scores:
    Part - Te Deum, Berliner Mass, Spiegel im Spiegel, Alina
    Feldman - Rothko Chapel, Why? Patterns
    Machaut - Notre Dame Mass

;-0
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

southport: This is great. I enjoy your reading list.

Inviting others to contribute any materials or information akin to keepingthe mind fresh

About a year and a half ago I purchased GPO and suddenly realized I knew a lot less about music than I had thought. In fact, I knew nothing. Since then I have read/worked through a handful of harmony and counterpoint texts (with the Shoenberg Harmony being my favorite) along with other music texts (orchestration, history, ect.).

In the spring I started taking composition lessons at a local community music school. I’m taking a break for the summer but will continue in the fall. My instructor (Romeo Melini) looks at music I bring in each week and then we discuss various points - sometimes harmony, sometimes form. Often the discussion is about the types of things composers need to know but can't be found in books.

I have also started taking lessons from somebody on this forum. I asked him if we could start at the very beginning with harmony and counterpoint as I know I need a lot of work.

I started playing trumpet again this spring after being away for almost 20 years. I’m going to take lessons this fall. I can’t believe how much I still remember – I’m doing better with my scales in different keys than when I played in high school.

After fiddling about with the piano for many years I decided to take lessons this fall.

I have messed around with ear training audio CDs but haven’t stuck to a program for long. I am looking into a computer program to help. I also started reading a book about ear training, which seems pretty good so far.

I have a shelf full of music books waiting to be read. I have dozens of scores waiting to be studied (I do occasionally follow along when listening but haven’t studied them yet).

I have also greatly expanded my CD collection and have been listening to as much music as possible.

And then there are concerts. Last season I saw the local orchestra (Nashua Symphony Orchestra) half a dozen times, saw the Boston Symphony in concert once (the Rite of Spring and Shoenberg’s 5 pieces for orchestra – 2 of my favorites) and 5 BSO rehearsals. This year I am going to see the BSO 6 times in concert and 10 times in rehearsal.

Did I miss anything? Anyway, you get the idea – I am going to fight tooth and nail to make my escape from cube-land.
    Trent P. McDonald

Wow trent. Thats absolutely fantastico! You are moving quite along.

If you are down in Boston a lot, might suggest you hook up with Longy, Boston Conervatory, NE Conservatory for a private lesson as well!

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    And then there are concerts. Last season I saw the local orchestra (Nashua Symphony Orchestra) half a dozen times, saw the Boston Symphony in concert once (the Rite of Spring and Shoenberg’s 5 pieces for orchestra – 2 of my favorites) and 5 BSO rehearsals. This year I am going to see the BSO 6 times in concert and 10 times in rehearsal.
    I wish I was still living in a civilized part of the country (used to go to the BSO rehearsals when I lived in Boston...great and affordable!).

Down here the best we can do is organized hog calling contests!

Sorry...NMB, not trying to hijack the thread...just the thought of hearing "Five Pieces for Orchestra" live was too much to ignore.
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Thumbs up Re: OT: Education...how are you pursuing?

This is a great thread! Stimulating and though provoking. I've gone back to private studies on timpani technique for solo performance and orchestra.
    Styxx

yeppers. Schoenberg LIVES! HARMONOLIERE is an awesome book (if you can get through it)!

Between college and grad school I took an advanced ear training course through Juilliard's evening division--great workout for my ears, made my conservatory entrance exams a breeze (well, maybe not a breeze, but it helped).

I taught high school theory last year, up to Advanced Placement level, which really honed my theory skills and knowledge.

I do a lot of conducting and music directing, mostly pit orchestras--that tends to hone the ear and the music skills.

Just today I started taking piano lessons after a 15-or-so year hiatus. I just got a gig directing a semi-pro chorus, and I figured brushing up my piano skills would be good for my career.

I occasionally do some ear training with software, books, and CD courses.

I read a lot of arranging and orchestration books, as well as full scores, fake books, etc.

I improvise at the piano a lot, which is one of the best things to do.

Oddly enough, one thing I do NOT do is listen to a lot of music. I might go days without ever playing a CD, radio, or MP3. I don't know why--the pretentious part of me would like to say it's because I'd rather listen to the music in my head, which is partially true, but a rather annoying thing to say. In general I just prefer silence.

Tell everybody what you do and offer your services to everybody, even if it means making a GPO mockup for a local elementary school play about Abraham Lincoln (no, I haven't done that). Just keep doing music, that's all. I've learned as much writing hip-hop tracks as I have writing orchestral works. Just keep doing music, meet musicians, play music if you can (even if you can't), that's the trick.

chris.

Excellante Zootie!!! Keep harmonizing!! I don't listen to much, and when I do I find its the same 3 pieces over and over again.

Go Back to forum