• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Logic's Sculpture vs Atmoshere/Absynth/Reactor

Share/Bookmark

Logic's Sculpture vs Atmoshere/Absynth/Reactor

I am trying to decide whether to buy either Logic with Sculpture and its other included soft synths or a synth-less sequencer and Atmosphere / Absynth / Reactor (without trying to consider any more or my brain will explode!). Could anyone please give me some idea of what each synth will do (including Logic's set of included synths). I will be wanting to create pads as well as leads / punchy melodies. Also, does any one of these create arpeggiated or rhythmic musical phrases? I'm running a Mac G5 2.0 2Gb RAM

Re: Logic's Sculpture vs Atmoshere/Absynth/Reactor

If you're on a mac, I have a really hard time recommending anything but Logic. I'm not talking about best sequencer, best audio editing crap... every program does that. I'm mainly suggesting it, because of the plug-ins and synths. It's absolutely, without question the best deal out there.

Now, I would not compare Sculpture to Atmosphere usually, except when discussing "Atmospher-y" type sounds. The dark, brooding, menacing type sounds...Sculpture rules there. And it has some wonderfully unique pads as well. Plus, it (as well as the a few of the other Logic synths) can create rhythmic, musical patterns.

All that to say, I adore Atmosphere, and use it way more than I use Sculpture, mainly because it covers so many bases, and covers them really, really well. Absynth and Reactor are monsters as well.

Ultimately, getting Logic and Atmosphere (or the others) would result in a very satisfying and inspiring rig. But that wasn't an option... or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    If you're on a mac, I have a really hard time recommending anything but Logic. I'm not talking about best sequencer, best audio editing crap... every program does that. I'm mainly suggesting it, because of the plug-ins and synths. It's absolutely, without question the best deal out there.

Now, I would not compare Sculpture to Atmosphere usually, except when discussing "Atmospher-y" type sounds. The dark, brooding, menacing type sounds...Sculpture rules there. And it has some wonderfully unique pads as well. Plus, it (as well as the a few of the other Logic synths) can create rhythmic, musical patterns.

All that to say, I adore Atmosphere, and use it way more than I use Sculpture, mainly because it covers so many bases, and covers them really, really well. Absynth and Reactor are monsters as well.

Ultimately, getting Logic and Atmosphere (or the others) would result in a very satisfying and inspiring rig. But that wasn't an option... or is it?
    I totally agree.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I was sorta in a situation like yours. I went with Logic first. It's a great sequencer I think and the plug ins it comes with will keep you going for a while. Though I do plan on adding Atmosphere (and Trilogy, I already have RMX) as soon as I get the funds to do so.
    Tim

Yeah, get Logic. After you're done exploring all the sounds that Logic gives you, in about a year when you're starting to get a bit bored, look for other plugins from other manufacturers.

Also, how about you get yourself Crystal AU for free? IMHO it is a serious contender to that "Absynth" type of sound.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Scupture is an awesome synth (one of my favorites), but it's much more of a "unique" thing that does interesting PM synthesis really well. Doesn't cover nearly the same range of territory as Atmosphere or ABsynth.

Keep in mind too that Sculpture eats tons of CPU, where Atmosphere is much more CPU friendly.

Hope that helps!

spectrum

Thanks for the replies - Absynth and Reactor are downloadable as demos so I might try those out. Eric, is a demo of Atmosphere possible? Like you say Jaimo I might go for Logic but add Atmosphere or another synth later on as it's all there in Logic to go. I'm not much of a programmer so Atmos is looking good. The more staccato arpeggiated sound is important though.

No demo version of Atmosphere....3.75gb is a bit much to download! :-)

No way to do a "best of" either....everyone uses it totally differently and has different favorites.

Best bet is to listen to the demos:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrum...ere/demos.html

And check it out in person at a music store...a lot of them have Atmosphere set up in demo systems.

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Also, how about you get yourself Crystal AU for free? IMHO it is a serious contender to that "Absynth" type of sound.
    hmmm, I tend to think of Absynth as a contender for that Crystal type of sound :-).

- Glenn

Atmosphere is a must-have. Period. I can't imagine life without it.
    a $120k business degree will get you a job on Wall Street - a $120k Berklee degree will get you a job on Beale Street...

Go Back to forum