• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio and Intel dual core?

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio and Intel dual core?

Hello,

i am thinking of updating my Music Computer. I am looking to buy a Intel dual core setup. Is anyone using a similar setup with Giga without any compatibility issues? I am not looking for any performance advantages since Gigastudio is not a multithreaded application, i just want to know if i would be able to run Gigastudio on one core without any problems.

Thanks for your help
    Karin

Arrow Re: Gigastudio and Intel dual core?

I know of one chap using the D840 without incident. This is not the extreme 840, but the model with hyper-threading disabled.I don't think that the 820 model shows much diffence between the two CPU's in terms of audio apps. I'd go for the cheaper one, simply because if you push the D840 too hard, it throttles down in MHz. That could be embarrasing at a live gig. Gigapulse is what uses the CPU power more than the apps. streaming HDD's, and NFX, which I never liked anyway, they sounded like cheap guitar pedals to me. BTW, I'm new to the forum too. Check in the hardware section of this forum. Lots of Gigateers in there.

Re: Gigastudio and Intel dual core?

I was going to put GS3 on a 3.0G P4 machine with my video editng software, but it (Vegas) wants hyperthreading and Giga would not run with it turned on
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Re: Gigastudio and Intel dual core?

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    I was going to put GS3 on a 3.0G P4 machine with my video editng software, but it (Vegas) wants hyperthreading and Giga would not run with it turned on
    since GS version 3.04 you can use HT
    I just installed the 2 machine with a AMD 64 X2 and Gigastudio without any serious problems.
    BUT as you allready wrote GS is not really multithreaded and it splits Gigapulse onto one Core and the main app on the other.
    Also GS runs smother if you dedicate it to one core.
    Digital AudionetworX

Smile Re: Gigastudio and Intel dual core?

HI, I read your post with fascination since I have been considering building a dual core system for GS3 myself. Other posts, in this forum and in others, seemed to indicate that GS will not run at all on a dual core system. Even Tascam website, if you poke around, has a notation that GS3 will not work, or is not supported, or something like that, with dual core.

So, if you're DOING it, then at least it's possible! What is your experience like using GS3, and what exactly is your hardware? And how do you designate that one part of the program run on one core?

Been thinking of going AMD x64 dual core, along with a m-audio 192 (they have the 64-bit drivers already, and price seems good).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mike

Go Back to forum