• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB and Band-in-a-Box?

Share/Bookmark

JABB and Band-in-a-Box?

Can we expect a collaboration between two of my favorite music software/tools?

Both BnB and GPO (and the long awaited JABB) offer incredible good music programs/sounds for a low price, perhaps because these smaller companies have been created and are run by people who not only have a passion for music, an appreciation for good interfaces, but also competence to make products that actually work and work well.

In addition they are not only affordable, but real bargains. I don't know about GPO upgrade pricing (because it is so new), but BnB certainly prices their upgrades to make their customers loyal users for life. I have purchased every BnB upgrade since I used the first DOS version of this program.

This would be, in my opinion, a marriage truly made in heaven.

(I must confess I heard some rumors of talks between PGMusic and Garritan). Any hints?

Also, any other fans of this marriage proposal?

Dan

Re: JABB and Band-in-a-Box?

Dan,

We've been in touch with Mark Lemna and the folk at PG Music and are doing our best to get our two products to work well together. We'll keep you posted.

Gary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: JABB and Band-in-a-Box?

That would be very educational!

A heck of a combo! Beats me trying to learn orchestration for symphonic orchestra...
    If you're new to jazz, and jazz arranging, this would be the real deal!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Hello,

you are not alone. I already posted on the BIAB-Wishlist the urgent need to make an integration of both products.

And I added:
    And I wouldnt mind to use garritans "chamber" orchestra to play some old fashioned classical dance music or "Tafelmusik" like Baroque dances Gigues, Chaconnes, Menuett, Rondos.

And for that reason we still need a Classical Melodist and Accompaniment.
    Otherwise we still have to do it by ourself ;-)

I know a lot of classical guitarists and lutenists who dig in these basic materials and still love to perform them. So if they could get new ideas, get an assistence for writing their own Sarabande or an
    accompaniment from a quartet, that would be really nice. And it could be used - and that was and is for me the main reason to stick to BiaB - as a teaching tool.

And to make the wishlist complete although not the right forum,
    I didn't dare to name the words "Counterpoint" and "Fuge". But that could be the final goal ;-) and would be worth a try - Two melodiest playing concurrently and sounding as though they were meant to play together...

Hajo

Talking Re: JABB and Band-in-a-Box?

I'm a big fan of Biab, but not for the same reasons.

When I was performing, I used it to get arrangements down quickly. If I had a special request for a song I didn't normally do, I could throw it together in five minutes, bring it into Cakewalk, set up the program changes for lights, FX, and harmonizer. Bamm! Good to go!

And as a compositional tool, it's very useful.

Paul
    AMD Athlon 64X2 4400+ 2.2GHz
    XP Pro 2GB Ram
    80GB OS, 160GB Audio, 320GB Samples
    Delta 66 Omni Sonar 5PE GPO, JABB

A good friend of mine, who frequently did MIDI single / duo gigs to pay the rent, made heavy use of Band in a Box as a starting point for his MIDI sequences. He was an accomplished jazz musician and introduced me to the software. Although it wasn't appropriate for my gigs (loud rock & roll, airborne guitarists), I've consistently been impressed with what a nice piece of work it is. I've also always liked the fact that, like Gary, they concentrate on offering extremely high value for a low cost that real musicians can afford.

Getting two pieces of software to play nice together is never an easy or trivial thing, so there's no telling what obstacles they face towards that end. However, integration or not, I have nothing but good things to say about the folks who put out Band in a Box!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by drdancm
    Can we expect a collaboration between two of my favorite music software/tools?

Both BnB and GPO (and the long awaited JABB) offer incredible good music programs/sounds for a low price, perhaps because these smaller companies have been created and are run by people who not only have a passion for music, an appreciation for good interfaces, but also competence to make products that actually work and work well.

In addition they are not only affordable, but real bargains. I don't know about GPO upgrade pricing (because it is so new), but BnB certainly prices their upgrades to make their customers loyal users for life. I have purchased every BnB upgrade since I used the first DOS version of this program.

This would be, in my opinion, a marriage truly made in heaven.

(I must confess I heard some rumors of talks between PGMusic and Garritan). Any hints?

Also, any other fans of this marriage proposal?

Dan
    Count me in! Wow! Hadn't even thought of this possibility! I'm so excited!

Yes Band in the Box is great, although as usual, I've not actually used mine much. However it is clear, from their busy advertising blurb, that the owners like their Jazz and have various dedicated Jazz bolt ons which I can imagine would work brilliantly with JABB. This is great thinking by Gary.....if I may be so informal.

Mr Garritan certainly has an eye open for mutually advantageous liaisons!

SAM
    BIAB Maybe?
    Synful? (out on MAc now I gather?)
    NY Stock Exchange???

Exciting times again......

Frank

Just about a year ago I started working in interfacing BIAB with GPO......and with the help of Logic 7.1 (Bidul does not seem ready yet) have some results of interest.......

Until recently the best way to use both programs was to run out a midi file to sequencer of choice and bring in instruments per line......

With System 10.4.1 on Mac and Logic (also GB) there is a new set of connections in the system audio and midi drivers. These seem to work to bring GPO or other sounds into BIAB playback mode -- BUT -- they are global resets that have to be reworked when you go back to Logic or other BIAB arrangements.

Therefore the tiers between the program are being reduced -- but are not yet an easy interface for me.......but that may be because I am a very confused, ill equipped (mentally) hacker who cannot code but is a function junky and want it to work right now ---

I still see Bidul as an interesting interface between aps for sampler call-up, but those poor guys are facing a field of mine filled code with a concept whose time is coming swiftly, whose need is now, and whose right now complimentary technical application on a user friendly level seems cloudy at best......

But then- I may be well out of the loop on that........

This would be a wonderful marriage and I said so on the BiaB wishlist forum. I'm holding off on my BiaB upgrade until this is a reality. I hope the next release will be the one.

Go Back to forum