• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSTi's In Concert

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down VSTi's In Concert

Well I'm happy to say that samplers such as GS3, Halion, Kontackt,etc. Have really made my gig a treat to play. But I never really liked the VSTi synths, or modeled organs until I heard B4, and Creamwares' B2003, through a real Leslie. But the Real Analog and DSP synths are so much more convincing to me. We had an opening act where the keyboardist had a couple of Muse Receptors, GS3 DAW, and a Sonar based computer. He was so proud of his arsenal, for good reason. But during the soundcheck he seemed to have lost some of his confidence. I guess my Oberheim XPander midied to a Scope 15-DSP card could have been the reason. There is a very noticable difference to my ears, and his too. I guess VSTi's sound better in a Virtual Gig.
    P.S. Real Synthesizers are always getting premium dollars used. Now I know why.

Re: VSTi's In Concert

Hi James.
    Since two years ago I play in concerts with a desktop PC and a lot of VSTi: B4, Atmosphere, The Grand... and I never had a problem. I like the way they sound, and I prefer the flexibility of the software than a expensive keyboard.
    I have an emi 2/6 from emagic with 6 outputs so I can choose a different one for every VST, That's enough for me.
    In fact I bought my last keyboard three years ago . I love VST and I will never buy more hardware except a new PC someday...
    I am thinking as well in using Guitar Rig through my PC for proccesing the electric harp I play.
    I think that computers, plug ins and VSTi open a great horizon for playing in live concerts.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

James, you sound like you need some reassurance that your decision to use an analog synth instead of a virtual synth wasn't a mistake. You probably won't find anyone to give you that reassurance here, but your mother might be able to tell you what you want to hear

Arrow Re: VSTi's In Concert

DJ,...Touche',

You are absolutely right on that one. She does hear the difference. That's cause she was the first female MIDI Xylophonist in a Jazz club in the mid '80's. She, as I, invested heavily in samplers, analog synths, and the like. She now runs a successful jingle house here in Las Vegas. But she still swears by her Yamaha CS80, over my Oberheims. But agrees with me on the fact that 1:1 emulations of analog synths, do not exist in the world of VST. Sample based VSTi's are quite good. For instance, NI Elektrik Pianos,etc. I was speaking of synths. If you're into synths, go check out one of the big boys sometime. I wish someone other than super expensive DSP guys could come close. I have several different PC set ups. I would much prefer hauling them around. I kept my Hammond until 2003 when Creamware came out with the B2003. I was so glad to retire her. But there again, the rotary emulation just don't cut it. But the PRO3T saved the day. So you see my drift? I'm just crying cause I have to keep waiting for a killer app.
    Jimmy V.

Analog synths don't sound like virtual synths. The B4 is arguably the best Hammond substitute, and does not, even thru a real Leslie, begin to sound like the real B3. None of my piano libraries sound like a real piano. Period. End of story.

So what?

They sound exactly like what they sound like, and if that is a sound that works for you, then it works. And if it doesn't, it doesn't. There's no disputing taste, and no disputing the fact that a virual synth, even if it did sound EXACTLY like the original, willl never FEEL like it.

They are not the same thing, they only share look, not feel, and may very well not share much of the look either. My current favorite electric piano is somethjing called Mr Ray 22 - doesn't sound like any other EP I know, though it can come pretty close to the Wurli and basic Rhodes. Its real strength is that it is a PM instrument that moves smoothly from silk to bark, and warm to edge in the upper registers. What it is, is expressive , something it's hard to do with an instrument that cries out for tweakable knobs like a Jupiter-8. The virtual Mini will never capture the hearts of a generation the way the Moog did, even though it is much more powerful, stable, and with a higher polyphony count.

But that is not its purpose. A VSTi is not, by itself, very real-time playable unless you have a flexible and programmable controller. And that is where the real power of the VSTi can shine - by remapping controls and commands, you can standardise your VSTi controls (to the degree there is enough similarity to map together: filters, envelopes, tuning and amplitude certainly are common to most; if one took the time, it would not be difficult to create a common control surface personalized to your own way of working - try that with your Minimoog and Odyssey - almost identical in many ways, but so different in layout and temperament.

Different knobs for different jobs. It's all good...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Thumbs up Re: VSTi's In Concert

Excellant response,

Thank you. Since this a forum, that is why I stated my experience with DSP/VSTi. I can't possibly demerit the technology. It progresses every year in leaps and bounds.I wish that true 1:1 emulations would evolve in VSTi's. I guess when 64 bit is the mainstay there won't be a trade off in CPU cycles. I have no road crew, only a key-tech, thank god, so I'm waiting for technology to advance. God bless the person who starts from scratch with 64 bit, and re-does the 1:1 approach.

Go Back to forum