• Register
  • Help

Topic: Technical Question: HD rpm

Share/Bookmark

Technical Question: HD rpm

First my computer specs:

Mac LAPTOP (PWRBK 1.5 Ghz/1 GB RAM)

Most laptops come with a HD that spins at 4200 rpm. I had the option to have a 5400 rpm installed at order time, so I did so.

When I play 3 or 4 instruments during the MIDI phase of using GPO, I sometimes get a "CPU overload" warning and it asks me if I want to "continue" or "stop playback."

My PERFORMANCE METER in DP 4.12 shows that my CPU Processor is at about 10% and the Buffer runs at about 40%.

My question is this:

Do I get that warning because of the below 7200 rpm spinning of my HD? If the processor isn't overloaded and the buffer isn't even 50%, why should I get such a warning notice?

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Technical Question: HD rpm

Are you loading the samples into RAM? You should do that, especially with a slow HDD. Uncheck "Active" (dark green) in the players Direct From Disk Options.

Re: Technical Question: HD rpm

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Are you loading the samples into RAM? You should do that, especially with a slow HDD. Uncheck "Active" (dark green) in the players Direct From Disk Options.
    Nickie:

Thanks for responding. I am using the "original" version of GPO with my Mac. I see no "Active" (dark green) in the players DFD Options. I don't think they had DFD in the original GPO.

I think my samples are already going into RAM, if I am not mistaken.

Thanks,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum