• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does Firewire take more CPU power than USB?

Share/Bookmark

Does Firewire take more CPU power than USB?

I have a laptop, 2.4G, 1G RAM, 40G HD at 5400. I used to be able to run Gigastudio on it with an Echo Indigo and MOTU Parallel port midi I/F, also with a Tascam 224. No problems.

I added an M-Audio Audiophile FW interface, and suddenly, it take 10-15 minutes to load a piano sample. Same eventual memory usage shown, but the speed has dropped to near-zero. Any ideas why? It works fine and sounds great once it is loaded, but this ridiculous load time makes it unacceptable for use.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Re: Does Firewire take more CPU power than USB?

I agree with Lee. This isn't a FW problem, it's an implementation, or conflict problem. I had read a test a couple of years ago that showed FW hard drives to use less CPU than USB or SCSI. Certainly, with a good implementation, it shouldn't take near that much time to load a piano.

There is a possibility that the IRQ of the FW interface in your PC is shared with other stuff in your laptop. You might be able to check that in your Device Manager. How you would change it, I have no idea though!

A possible solution would be a PCMCIA FW card.

-JF

Thanks, folks. I'll try pulling the other drivers and see if that helps. There appears to be no conflicts in the Device Manager, but I'll look further.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

M-Audio has been very specific about types of Firewire chipsets which are incompatible with their chipsets in their various boxes. (I ran into it on 2 of my SONY systems and had to resort to a "combo" FW/USB2 PCI card to get around it. Then, I ran into an IRQ conflict with a gigabit network card and I've had to put gigabit networking aside for a while, but that's a whole 'nother story!)

If all you have changed is the M-Audio box, I'd give em a shout on their Southern Cal telephone support. Their support reps are most helpful and you can usually catch em without too much hold time -- at least that's been my (positive) experience!

my $0.02 ... KevinKauai

P.S. Soundsmith -- I grew up in the Monterey Bay!

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    I have a laptop, 2.4G, 1G RAM, 40G HD at 5400. I used to be able to run Gigastudio on it with an Echo Indigo and MOTU Parallel port midi I/F, also with a Tascam 224. No problems.

I added an M-Audio Audiophile FW interface, and suddenly, it take 10-15 minutes to load a piano sample. Same eventual memory usage shown, but the speed has dropped to near-zero. Any ideas why? It works fine and sounds great once it is loaded, but this ridiculous load time makes it unacceptable for use.

Dasher,

can you temporarily run a virus checker and adware checker to see what's possibly brewing here. You can always remove them the after the tests.

Firewire versus USB only allows for faster transmissions. It does allow more data to move more productively. The Firewire card takes the stress off the CPU here. The better cards have their own CPU on board.

That 5400 RPM on your hard drive could be questionable. I prefer a minimum of 7200 RPM.

You have enough RAM- that's ok

If it does worsen, I'd reinstall Windows and get a fresh start.

Alan Russell

BTW, I am a Computer Teacher and coordinator for the NYC school system ..main gig..
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

HI,

1) the FW410 is a great peice of gear for what it is.
    i can get lower latency with it than an RME Multiface. (yes i was shocked as well)

the issue is probably with the laptop implimentation of its firewire port.
    it can very well be sharing an IRQ with something, thus causing your issues.
    especailly if it shares with the video.

as far as firewire chipsets i have not run accross any chipset it didnt work with .
    TI is of corse recommended but i know it will work with Via and NEC also.

also are you running SP2? if so you need to update the firewire with a microsoft patch. this is not in the standard updates.

Scott
    ADK

Go Back to forum