• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Round Robin" not quite working

Share/Bookmark

"Round Robin" not quite working

Hi,

Using 1.53... I'm experimenting with my new SI Symphonic Strings and Kontakt's "Round Robin" feature. Here's my setup:

1. Loaded an ensemble "Down bow" and "Up bow" articulation
    2. Set both to the same MIDI channel and output
    3. Set the Group Starts to "Round Robin"
    4. Set the Down bows to the "1" position and Up bows to the "2" position in the chain

For some reason only the "Up bows" cycle between notes... the "Down bows" always sound when I play. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Re: "Round Robin" not quite working

JWB,

The Round Robin feature is tied to the engine, the .dll in fact, so if you play an A, that A note advances every note. This is obviously not the way most would want Round Robin to work - it should work on a per key basis (like K2 and GS3.1 do). But this may be the problem you're running into.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Well thanks Alan,

I went ahead and purchased Kontakt 2, updated it to the latest version, and guess what?... the same problem occurs! First group sounds continuously, second group sounds on every other note.

Anyone else having this problem?.. I can't believe I'm the only one.

You need to put both groups into the same instrument. Copy/paste the upbows into the downbows instrument. Click off "edit all groups" and set up the round robin to alternate between groups 1 and 2.

Thanks dvincent,

So it all works "internally" with the groups you have within the patch? I didn't realize that... I guess an ensemble up/down RR patch is impossible then given the amount of groups you have? Still, very useful as is... thanks again.

Jon

You can actually do some tricks with K2 if you use blank groups plus KS. Try this:

Keep these set to midi chn 1.

Instrument 1 - staccato. Use RR (or random) for all groups - i.e. Group A = stacc1 p/mf/f is RR1, Group B = stacc2 p/mf/f is RR2. Set KS to C1 for both (or all) groups. Create a new blank group with no RR and set the KS to C#1 through D#1.

Instrument 2 - portato. Use RR for all groups (similar to above)and set KS to C#1. Create two blank groups. Set the first to blank to KS C1 and the second to KS D1 through D#1.

Instrument 3 - non-RR stuff. Open a non-vibrato patch. Open a vibrato patch in Instrument 4. Copy and paste the vibrato patch into a new group of Instrument 3. Delete Instrument 4. Set the non-vib patch to KS D1. Set the vib patch to KS D#1. Create a blank group and set the KS to C1 through C#1.

Now you have a unified instrument playing several different RR or random groups independently - all contrlled with keyswitching. You can add as many groups to this formula as needed. Just remember that the blank groups are key to getting this to work right. Start a new midi chn and repeat. It's a great way to fill up those K2 slots (and memory) while only using 16 midi chns.

Also, try using the MGK script in conjunction with the RR/Random instruments. That's a lot of variation happening!

It's easier to do than for me to explain in type, so if this is unclear send me a PM and I can send a small example for you to pick apart.

Derek

Thumbs up Re: "Round Robin" not quite working

Hey thanks Derek!... sorry I didn't get back sooner (I work weekends)

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to Kontakt 2 (new owner). I used keyswitching a lot with Giga 2.5 but none of the translations from those libraries carried over to Kontakt 1 very well so I adopted different methods for switching between parts.

I'll experiment with your suggestions this week. It looks as though K2 has a lot going for it. I appreciate your interest in helping me and the time you took to explain this. If I have problems, I'll send you a PM.

Thanks again!
    Jon

Go Back to forum