• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help with error

Share/Bookmark

Need help with error

I've got a problem and I was wondering if anyone here knew how to help me.

I've been working on this piece for a couple days now, but when I tried to load it recently, I got an error which read:

ERROR parsing input file at line 1
    <parse error>
    The loaded patch might be corrupt

I was working on it earlier today, but for some reason this just comes up now. If there's a way to fix this, I'd love to know how because I really hate the idea of having to re-sequence everything again.

Here's the actual file, if it helps any:

http://www.thunderwaveproductions.com/02.cwp

Thanks.

Re: Need help with error

Quote Originally Posted by mscmixer

I've been working on this piece for a couple days now, but when I tried to load it recently, I got an error which read:

<parse error>

I was working on it earlier today, but for some reason this just comes up now. If there's a way to fix this, I'd love to know how because I really hate the idea of having to re-sequence everything again.

Thanks.

Well, your link did not provide a useful file. I got a bunch of text and characters that didn't help me understand. You are apparently using Sonar 2, and the link ought to therefore be a .cwp file, but it does not seem to be so.

Sometimes I fix a Sonar problem by copying all channels to a new file. The problem just vanishes. I have no idea why, but that's the way it happens now and then.

Richard

<parse error>

Thanks.

Well, I tried again with Internet Explorer. The file downloads okay, I get the same error as you stated, plus a second error, stating that the file is not compatible with this version of Sonar. I was using Sonar 4.03. I tried again, using Sonar 2.2. Error message now is that this is not a cakewalk file.

Dead end here. Before the error messages, the GPO instruments load. Peculiar.

Richard

<parse error>

Thanks.
    Well, shucks, here I am again! I can't believe I am posting again to the same thread. But it entered my mind that Sonar has an autosave feature, unless you have turned it off. So if possible, go to your auto save and see if there is a usable version. Or, if like me, you do a data backup daily if the data changes, open the backup version of the file and see if it works. Just be sure that you restore/select only the backup of the file you want.

The error is a GPO error. So let us hope that Tom Hopkins or Joseph Burrell read this. Since it also tells me that my patch may be corrupt, this should tell me something, but I don't know what. What patches are you loading in your 3d GPO player? That seems to be where the error appears. It may be that you have found a bug in one of the instruments.

And now back to my piano! (If I can calm my nagging cat and playful border collie.)

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 08-03-2005 at 02:28 AM. Reason: add info and correct error

Sorry, I did forget to mention that I use Sonar 4. The instruments in the 3rd player are, in order: Trumpet 1 Players 1-3, Tenor Trombone Players 1-3, and Tuba Solo 1.

Seems strange that this would just happen all of a sudden, especially since I've saved and loaded this very piece so many other times.

Sorry, I did forget to mention that I use Sonar 4. The instruments in the 3rd player are, in order: Trumpet 1 Players 1-3, Tenor Trombone Players 1-3, and Tuba Solo 1.

Seems strange that this would just happen all of a sudden, especially since I've saved and loaded this very piece so many other times.
    Well,it is a strange situation. What I would do before reaching for a sledge hammer, would be to go to the VST adapter from the start menu and see what things look like there. I would probably remove all vst items and then open Sonar and look at the file and see what happens. Then as a safety, I would save the file under a different name. Next, I would clear all references to GPO from all channels. Having done that, I would then save the file, copy it to a new file, enable the vst again, and re-asssign your instruments. I can not explain why this would work, but I have had good luck doing such things. You might try to get the attention of Tom or Joseph or Gary. They usually respond quickly and helpfully.

If you want, once you have removed the vst references, post the link again and I and probably others will look at it again and muck around until somebody fihds the solution. Until I can try it without GPO, I am without further ideas.

Richard

I've seen this error before when you save a file and then a short while later Sonar crashes. The file is then corrupted because Windows usually caches its saves. So it may look like it saved but it could take 10 seconds or so to actually write it to the hard drive.

Have you tried loading the sequence in safe mode? You hit a key such as Ctrl while you load the file.

I always work between 2 copies of files just in case one gets corrupted or accidently overwrite it. This has saved me quite a few times!

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    I've seen this error before when you save a file and then a short while later Sonar crashes. The file is then corrupted because Windows usually caches its saves. So it may look like it saved but it could take 10 seconds or so to actually write it to the hard drive.

Have you tried loading the sequence in safe mode? You hit a key such as Ctrl while you load the file.

I always work between 2 copies of files just in case one gets corrupted or accidently overwrite it. This has saved me quite a few times!
    Very good suggestion! Give you the opportunity to load the file without the vst dll. Saves all the trouble I mentioned in my last post. Good thing to knowl.

But in this case, it did not work. I opened his file in safe mode, no parse error. But the other error, not a valid cakewalk file, remains. So next step,??

When I work, I save often, giving each save a new name, such as Fugue 1, Fugue 2, , etc. I also backup my data often when I am making frequent changes or entering something that would crush me if I lost it.

Richard

I tried and got the same problem as Richard stated. The "Not compatible with this version of Sonar" error still comes up.

And yes, I'll now be making sure I back up everything I work on.

That means the header on the file has been corrupted. There is no way to recover from this error that I know of. Had this error just a month ago myself and I had to use my backup copy.

You may want to check on the Sonar forum to see if there are any other solutions.

Go Back to forum