• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: More from our Fearless Leader

Share/Bookmark

More from our Fearless Leader

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Just when you thought it couldn't get any dumber...caught this on Fox NEws at=>http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164446,00.html

==========clipping follows==============

Bush: Schools Should Teach 'Intelligent Design' Alongside Evolution
    Monday, August 01, 2005

WASHINGTON — President Bush (search) said Monday he believes schools should discuss "intelligent design" (search) alongside evolution (search) when teaching students about the creation of life.

During a round-table interview with reporters from five Texas newspapers, Bush declined to go into detail on his personal views of the origin of life. But he said students should learn about both ideas, Knight Ridder Newspapers reported.

"I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," Bush said. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes."

The theory of intelligent design says life on earth is too complex to have developed through evolution, implying that a higher power must have had a hand in creation.

Christian conservatives — a substantial part of Bush's voting base — have been pushing for the teaching of intelligent design in public schools. Scientists have rejected the idea as an attempt to force religion into science education.

On other topics during the group interview, the president:

—Refused to discuss the investigation into whether political aide Karl Rove or any other White House official leaked a CIA officer's identity, but he stood behind Rove. "Karl's got my complete confidence. He's a valuable member of my team," Bush said.

—Said he did not ask Supreme Court nominee John Roberts about his views on Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that legalized abortion.

—Said he hopes to work with Congress to pass an immigration reform bill this fall, including provisions for guest workers and enhanced security along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Bush spoke with reporters from the San Antonio Express-News, the Houston Chronicle, The Dallas Morning News, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and The Austin American-Statesman.

========end clipping==========

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Re: More from our Fearless Leader

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    "I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," Bush said. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes."
    I bet he wouldn't say that if they were talking about educating kids about contraception, abortion and the benefits of gay marriage.

Bush doesn't want to educate people in different schools of thought - just his own.

-JF

It gets worse every day. These animals are taking over our country.

Angry Re: More from our Fearless Leader

Try living in the UK with B.Liar in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight To Six Girl
    Devon huh?

The Iran issue starting maybe on Wednesday could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight To Six Girl
    But you folks in the UK don't have people trying to force the teaching of "creationism" and "intelligent design" in the public schools in place of real science do you?

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Nowhere in the above quotes of Bush you provided does it ever suggest "forcing" anyone to teach creationism or intelligent design.

Why does it bother you that students should get the opportunity to make an informed and educated decision on the varying views of origins? We're supposed to be teaching students how to think, not what to think. Don't you think?

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robh

We're supposed to be teaching students how to think, not what to think. Don't you think?

Rob

I totally agree with you there Rob, we should be teaching them HOW to think and I have no problems with teaching different views...., but the problem is that the Christian Right has an incredibly annoying history of trying to teach people EXACTLY WHAT TO THINK in many situations like this.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Evolution is undeniable. It's not an explanation, it's a description of what happens. And not even an explanation of everything that happens. It's undeniable: the gene pool evolves over time. Any biologist knows that; evolution is the foundation of modern biology.

Now, I have no problem with religion being taught in public school, but it has to be presented as one of many, often overlapping, ways of viewing the world. I'm sorry if fundamentalist Christians find that offensive, but if they do, it's their own fault for believing that there's only one correct religion ("one way") that's incompatible with every other one. To me that's the most ludicrous assumption imaginable - as I've said before.

So bottom line, creationism or euphemisms for creationism belong in philosophy class. Putting them in science class is indoctrination, and that's incompatible with the central goal of education.

Quote Originally Posted by robh
    Nowhere in the above quotes of Bush you provided does it ever suggest "forcing" anyone to teach creationism or intelligent design.
    Then why don't we teach astrology, too? Treat it as if it's a real science? That would amount to the same thing.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast