• Register
  • Help

Topic: Graphics Card questions

Share/Bookmark

Graphics Card questions

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good and inexpensive AGP graphics card for a networked computer that at any one time is running either Gigastudio or Kontakt? I don't use the computer for anything but loading instrument samples.

I have an old PCI card that would probably work, but I noticed that when I used the older PCI card in my main sequencing computer it would generate noise. It seems that when I have the sequencer running and I scroll inside the sequencer window, pops and static would occur. Rather loudly too. When I swapped a good AGP card from the other computer, it was fine. I could probably use the PCI card in the second computer, since I just load it with samples to stream. Any down side to this?

In terms of memory (RAM) that affects sample allocation in Kontakt for example, is there any benefit to using a PCI graphics card over an AGP graphics?

Thanks in advance.

Marko

Wink Re: Graphics Card questions

For single monitor solution, I'd go with a reliable 2D card. Matrox G450 32MB.For dual or triple screen set up, go with Matrox P650, or P750. All Matrox cards are built for non-interference with audio. Everyone I know who has tried other vendors, seem to spend too much time tweaking, and not playing.
    I use the OCZ 520-ADJ power supply. It came with shielded power leads for graphics and HDD.This is the first machine I ever had built for me.Took me 5 years of wait and see before I decided to make my move.It was in 1999 actually, funny it was a DAW with a Pulsar 1, Gigastudio, and a Matrox G450. I watched my friend use this in the studio only, and constantly debugging everything. The only aspect of his rig that didn't frustratye him was thy trusty old 2D Matrox.Now I run GS3, Scope , and Matrox G450!! After 5 years I guess I was convinced.

Re: Graphics Card questions

Thanks James.

I just bought a Matrox today-- a second hand one-- and it yielded the BSOD of death every time I tried to install a driver. I'll return it tomorrow for something else.

I don't even know the model number of this card, just that it is a 16 megabyte AGP graphics card.

I have had stanle performance with an NVidia card that I swapped from my other computer, so I may go with another Nvidia. But I wanted to get something cheaper.

I guess I got what I paid for.

Marko

I don't have a monitor attached to my networked computers, as I run them via Remote Desktop. Maybe a thought...?

D

You can't boot without a video card in the system

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    You can't boot without a video card in the system
    Yeah, but it doesn't have to be "pretty" if you're only using the computer as a sampler.

D

Cool Re: Graphics Card questions

I think that the 16mb version of the Matrox was not enough RAM. Depends on what apps. your'e using. Try 32mb 2D card maybe. $ 45 USD @ Pricewatch.com. It's a no frills card, but everyone I know thats used them, fears change.

Go Back to forum