• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GS3/VSO vs. Kontakt/Garritan difference ?

Share/Bookmark

GS3/VSO vs. Kontakt/Garritan difference ?

Could somebody please tell me a few of the important <fundamental> distinctions between the way GS3 works with Vienna etc. samples versus the way the sample player (Kontakt ?) bundled in Garritan Personal Orchestra works with GPO samples. And what are the resultant implications making one "better" - more polyphony, less latency, better quality samples, etc., etc.

I'm considering GS3 and GPO and what the extra $250 buys you in terms of just the sample player and samples that is hearable or makes usability, versatility with more samples or whatever (e.g. not simply that one has midi notation, one doesn't, or more VST plugins, etc.).

Does GS3 do true hard disk streaming of huge samples but GPO relies more on real memory, does one have higher quality or longer samples, or what ? I don't get it.

Thanks.

Bob

Re: GS3/VSO vs. Kontakt/Garritan difference ?

Both do real disk streaming! Both rely on RAM. In fact both samplers load small amounts of the samples into RAM and the rest of the samples are being sought on the disk when played!
    I'm not into symphonic music but what i heard is that Vienna is recorded dry and GPO with ambience.

The rest i leave up to experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Resident
    what i heard is that Vienna is recorded dry and GPO with ambience.

The rest i leave up to experts.
    GPO is NOT recorded with any ambient sound/reverberation, real or fake.

One of the great sound design concepts behind GPO, is that the instruments can be placed acoustically anywhere you want in the stereo image, and then artificial reverberation like Lexicon, or Impulse Response (IR) reverb like Altiverb can be added.
    Resident, you may have been confused when you read that GPO has a reverb called Ambience included in GPO, I can see where you may have interpreted that GPO had been recorded with natural "HALL" reverberation.
    dpDan

Gigastudio is recognized as a more powerful program and VSO (VSL) as perhaps the greatest achievement in sampling to date that offers a huge library, range of features, articulations, and sounds. It depends on which end of the pool you want to dive into at present. Many people here rave about GPO because it delivers what they need with quality and at a very low price. It is also comprehensive instrument-wise.

It's like buying a car: the market you are in being the main factor.

Dave Connor

GPO does NOT stream from disk. Its loaded into memory, which makes it running on a laptop GREAT!. You DO have an option for disk streaming, but it isnt recommended usually, as you need another drive.

Thanks to all. I understand the main difference now. And I gather (think I read somewhere) that you might be able to use Garritan samples in GS3 though perhaps not derive all of GS3's benefits ? If so perhaps I could get my training wheels with Garritan and if/when I decide to upgrade to GS3 I can still put the Garritan to use ?

Bob

Hmmm. If, as I had originally thought, Garritan indeed does <not> stream from disk under 'normal' use, then I guess that also explains why many of the GS3 samples like Viena are 'better', given the limited real memory of 1.5 GB or so to cram the entire sample set into with GPO, right ?

And I understood that the GS3 samples also were "dry" like GPO and allowed for adding Impulse reverb and the like.

So it looks to me like it really comes down to, as one of the appenders so aptly put it, which end of the pool I want to jump into first. The deep end with GS3, or midpool with the GPO, and that I apparently may find that if its midpool with GPO, I may not find the need to swim to the deep end for at least awhile.

BTW, are GS3 and GPO about equal in terms of stability and headaches both hardware and software wise, or is one more finicky and crashy than the other ?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dpc
    Gigastudio is recognized as a more powerful program

Dave Connor

Gigastudio is a very very buggy program at the moment lots of users do have problems. I'm not sure but i think you can use GPO together with kontakt. Not the player but the full version.

Gigastudio is a very very buggy program at the moment lots of users do have problems.
    Oh don't start that again............

D

Gigastudio is a very very buggy program at the moment lots of users do have problems. I'm not sure but i think you can use GPO together with kontakt. Not the player but the full version.
    oh no not again!

i understand that a couple user have problems and i had one user which had the save on crash problem (i was the first who reported this problem) but after he used the gigastudio cleaner tool and reinstalled 3.1 he has no problem anymore.

besides this!!!!!

i sold about 100 (hundred) GS 3 and i can sleep very well at night.
    nobody of my clients (besides the 3.1 crash on save guy) ever called me up and sayed gigastudio is crashing more often then 1-2 times / month.

indeed gigastudio is VERY stable at the moment.

BUT i am still not reccomending the 3.1 version because of that one guy and some reports here (just to be save).

sorry to see that you have problems but there are thousands of user worldwide which have no problems at all.

dont get me wrong! i am not saying that gigastudio has no bug´s
    (like any other programm) but i really canot say that its unstable.
    Digital AudionetworX

Go Back to forum