• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: why not a rack mount computer instead of a laptop

Share/Bookmark

why not a rack mount computer instead of a laptop

I have been considering buying a laptop that would run a good sample library like gpo, and some other things like native instruments b4, fm, or atmosphere, a friend suggested putting together a rack mount with a 15 inch flat screen, he actually had a rack and it was about four rack spaces, it would be a little bigger but not heavy at all but a lot cheaper and more powerfull, I just wondered if any had tried it or if there is a downside Jeff

Re: why not a rack mount computer instead of a laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff4h
    I have been considering buying a laptop that would run a good sample library like gpo, and some other things like native instruments b4, fm, or atmosphere, a friend suggested putting together a rack mount with a 15 inch flat screen, he actually had a rack and it was about four rack spaces, it would be a little bigger but not heavy at all but a lot cheaper and more powerfull, I just wondered if any had tried it or if there is a downside Jeff
    All my PCs are rackmounted, however, they are very heavy........! I'm sure that you could put something lighter together and possibly rack the monitor as well if you wanted to be mobile. Not the cheapest option, but it has its advantages.

D

Check out Receptor by Muse Research

Banned

If you actually need a computer, UI and all, and not just a sound module, then another option is a shuttle (or similar):

Machines ("gig" bag available):
    http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Ba...rb_default.asp

Monitor ("gig" bag available):
    http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Accessories/XP17.asp

- Stefan

Banned

What's the CPU and RAM in one o' dem Receptor thingies, anyway?

You should pick up the current issue of Virtual Instruments Magazine. Bruce Richardson wrote an article relating to this (he recommended not using a portable computer, asI recall). His discussion of these issues was very informative.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I was going to say, he recommends racks over laptops for their durability.

I was thinking of looking into the Shuttle small form factor computers for this use. Haven't really researched it, but it would be a small, light option. Bring along a small cheap LCD and there you go. The advantage of this setup over a laptop would be a regular pci slot or two which you could stick any soundcard you want into. But as I said, I haven't really researched or tried this myself, so I don't know if there any problems with this type of setup. I would think it would work, though.

The PC side of laptops may not be all the rugged but iBooks and Powerbooks are built like tanks in my experience. I have never had a problem with them live but I have had problems with the Shuttle type PCs.
    Chris

you could try a Mac Mini operated by VNC from a cheap laptop.

Go Back to forum