• Register
  • Help

Topic: What's the best processor for a DAW?

Share/Bookmark

What's the best processor for a DAW?

I'm still looking for a new computer but I haven't decided yet what to buy, if I'll go with a P4 or a 64 processor. What do you recommend?

I'll run, basically, Sonar/Cubase, Reason, GigaStudio, dozens of VSTi's, Gold, GPO, DFHS... sound card Audiophile 2496.

Thanks!
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

Post Re: What's the best processor for a DAW?

I´m using P4s just as shuttle PCs, your main workstation should have the best performance of the machines - I´m currently running a server class PC with 2 AMD Dual Opterons 875, 6 GIG RAM on a Tyan Mainboard under Win XP 64 Bit Edition - runs very smooth, but it will be great when the first 64bit Editions of current audio software appear on the market. I´d suggest to go for that.. but with SATA Raptors or some 15K Scsi HDs this should be a 4000$-7000$ setup depending on the parts you decide on.

Re: What's the best processor for a DAW?

Quote Originally Posted by rebrand
    I´m using P4s just as shuttle PCs, your main workstation should have the best performance of the machines - I´m currently running a server class PC with 2 AMD Dual Opterons 875, 6 GIG RAM on a Tyan Mainboard under Win XP 64 Bit Edition - runs very smooth, but it will be great when the first 64bit Editions of current audio software appear on the market. I´d suggest to go for that.. but with SATA Raptors or some 15K Scsi HDs this should be a 4000$-7000$ setup depending on the parts you decide on.
    why 64bit? cubendo is only running in 32bit mode under xp 64.

the best cpu for Cubendo is definetly the AMD X2 4400+
    Digital AudionetworX

Post Re: What's the best processor for a DAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    why 64bit? cubendo is only running in 32bit mode under xp 64.
    As I said... it will get interesting when 64Bit editions of current audio software appear on the market - but one of the pros right now is that Win64 can cope with more RAM than XP Pro. Even if you are using 32 Bit Audio Software.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    the best cpu for Cubendo is definetly the AMD X2 4400+
    If you put two Dual Opteron 275 (each at 2,2GHz) on a Tyan K8WE it means physically two 64 Bit CPUs with two cores each (equals four CPUs, though not yet perfectly supported by Steinberg, you can imagine the performance)

AMD X2 4400 is a fine 64 Bit dualcore CPU at 2,2 GHz - pretty much the same specs like Opteron 275, except you can´t use them 2-way like the Opteron.

However the X2 will probably be more tailored to the demands of home users and gamers. Seems like even AMD suggests this... referring to the AMD site, Opterons are in Server and Workstation class, Athlon 64 Processors like X2 are more put into desktop computing and mobile workstation class.

Re: What's the best processor for a DAW?

Thanks for the replies. I've been studying about it... does anyone know if any softhouse are planning to develop their software (Steinberg, Cakewalk, Native, Propellerheads, etc) in 64 bit?

As far as I read... it's much better to choose AMD 64 than P4, right? And even better, the X2.
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

Go Back to forum