• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MidiOverLan (or similar programs) and Giga?

Share/Bookmark

MidiOverLan (or similar programs) and Giga?

Does anyone have any opinions about MidiOverLan and/or other midi over IP tools as substitutes for hardware interfaces? I like the idea of ditching hardware MIDI, but I'm a little wary about the reliability of relatively new tools like this.

Does anyone have practical experience using midioverlan or similar utilities in vigorous day-to-day use? How was your experience with reliability and latency?

(My setup would be Mac/Logic -> PC/Giga.)

Thanks!

Mike

Re: MidiOverLan (or similar programs) and Giga?

I have been using midi over ethernet (not MOL) daily for over a year. Works fine except for stuck notes in gigastudio some times -- but see the "fix for stuck notes" thread. Benno is working on a free alternative to MOL, plus there is the older "div's midi utilities for windows" which I use.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    I have been using midi over ethernet (not MOL) daily for over a year. Works fine except for stuck notes in gigastudio some times -- but see the "fix for stuck notes" thread. Benno is working on a free alternative to MOL, plus there is the older "div's midi utilities for windows" which I use.
    Thanks for the response! What specific product are you using? (I couldn't find any references to something called "midi over ethernet".)

DAW: Dual Core 5200 4GB 160 IDE 320 SATA Sonar 4/GIGA: P4 3.0 1.5GB GS3 80 SATA 160 SATA GS Orchestra

When it works, which is most of the time, it is fantastic. There seems to be a problem with stuck notes, but it's hard to say whether it is MOL or Gigastudio. I recently fixed my MOL/Giga 3 stuck notes problem by disabling hyperthreading and it worked brilliantly.

I would say, MOL is a really great piece of software. If you have the $$$ then buy it. It beats the hell out of the hardware alternative. But try the trial download first before you commit.

I've been using MOL with three computers for the last 8 months and it seems reliable and stable. The initial set up is not the most user friendly interface, but for the geek it's easy enough.

I use it with W2k, Kontakt on computers 2 and 3, and Home Studio (sequencer) on computer 1 along with GigaStudio 160.

Marko

Search here or google: "Div's Midi Utilities for Windows".

hi Mike,

i've been using midi over lan to drive 3 PCs from my mac for about six months now. i finally got enough confidence to disconnect my hardware interfaces recently. and it seems to me that the timing is a little tighter than the hardware actually.

as said, setup was not the easiest thing, but after some head scratching, i had it done in a few hours. i'd be happy to walk you thru where i got hung up (PM me-i'm not reading the forum a lot these days). one thing-i set my machines up with fixed IP addresses and they;re all connected to a gigabit switch (not hub).

definitely try the demo first tho and make sure it plays nice with your rig.

i can't wait to ditch my soundcards and do this with audio too!

-john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

I just recently added a Coyote R&D Two-Can PC to my system for Giga, and it is connected over LAN to my Mac with ProTools. I was skeptical at first, but with help from Mike at Coyote getting it set up, I was really impressed! It is too soon for me to rave, but so far it is great. I am using their NetMidi, and VNC so there are no peripherals connected to the PC except a RME 9636 card for the optical link to ProTools.
    It blows me away that I can fully control and view the PC from my Mac with midi! NetMidi works with OSX, however my PT 24 Mix system is still running (solidly) on OS 9, and works perfect (so far) with NetMidi. Extremely low latency!
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwebster
    I am using their NetMidi, and VNC so there are no peripherals connected to the PC except a RME 9636 card for the optical link to ProTools.
    You are using vnc to view your pc's desktop? How is that working for you? Isn't that an extremely slow interface?

Go Back to forum