• Register
  • Help

Topic: 16bit 4 live gigging

Share/Bookmark

Question 16bit 4 live gigging

I was wondering if playing GS3 in 16bit for live performance would give me more instances of Gigapulse, or any other benefits? Sorry for being so green, but studio work is on a back burner till I'm confident with my live gig-rig. I had this daw built for size and convenience, but I'm so happy with the Creamware, GS3 combo for sound quality, much of my hardware is now on the backburner.

Jimmy V.

Re: 16bit 4 live gigging

16-bits will help the polyphony, but I'm not sure if it would help reduce the processing load much. Given that nobody will be able to tell the difference between 16 and 24 bit instruments in a live situation, I'd copy and convert the live stuff to 16 bits on principle!

-JF

Talking Re: 16bit 4 live gigging

Brother Man Jon,

Thank you . I have a funny feeling that you and me will be coorresponding in the future more. I'm going out on a 4 month stint, first time I've ever used a daw 4 live gigging. I have my old rig wired up also just in case.
    The GS3 Grand Piano is so sweet, along with all other giga libraries. Add that to the Creamware synths and B3 emulation through a Pro3T.
    God I just pray it works.
    Everything is redundant. Super efficient cooling, and shockmounted SKB's.Hell what could go wrong? Well I'd bet you'd know.
    Ever think of being an online Key-Tech?

Jimmy V.

Re: 16bit 4 live gigging

I'm still working out how I'll run things for an outdoor party that my three piece band is doing. (Waynestock, woo hoo!) We're just some buddies who happen to work together. Mark is the "song guy" who sings and strums. Jim is the "noodler" who plays lead guitar. My main instrument is guitar, but I'm playing keyboards or bass and sequencing drums and whatever else I can't play in real time.

I'm thinking of rendering everything to audio tracks, bumping up their gain so I have enough audio gain, and using Vegas for playback. Why Vegas?

* I can set regions, so I can quickly jump from song to song one a single, long timeline.

* I can use submixes, so I can quickly change the master, or drums, or horn section mix.

* It supports a huge number of tracks, so I can use the first few tracks for song 1, the next tracks for song 2, etc. That lets me tweak the mix of individual instruments in one song, without messing up the mix of the others.

* Vegas is solid as a rock.

I just wish I had a control surface for it. For this gig I may be playing keys or bass with one hand, while mixing with a mouse with the other hand. Yuk!!! I hope we get the mix close at our rehearsal on Friday!

-JF

Go Back to forum