• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How to get the strings play legato?

Share/Bookmark

Question How to get the strings play legato?

I am trying to get my string parts to play a nice legato melody, but even after using the slurs correctly in Sibelius, the strings in GOP are sounding non legato with a push on every note. I already tried the GOP legato plugin in Sibelius, but this only results in hanging notes. How can I solve this?

André
    visit my webpage at www.andrevanharen.com

Re: How to get the strings play legato?

Lower the velocity of those notes, that have a "push". Attack is controlled by velocity. Lower velocity=slower/softer attack, higher velocity=harder/faster attack.

Unhappy Re: How to get the strings play legato?

The velocity is already very low (pp), the non legato is the biggest problem. Is there a way to get really legato lines? I used the legato plugin in Sibelius on the woodwinds, sounds perfect now! But it doesn't work very well on the strings, I only getting hanging notes. Also, why isn't the crescendo/decresendo pluging working correctly? The sounds are very disturbed after using it on my score.

Legato is created with the use of the sustain pedal or CC64. However make sure that you have selected this in the OPTIONS menu. I believe the selection is "no sustain but MIDI controller." If your notes are sustaining, the pedal settings may be set to "normal sustain." I'm not sure if the language is entirely correct, since I'm not at my computer. Hope that helps.

It's also a good idea to overlap those legato notes ever so slightly by setting the slur durations just over a 100% in Sibelius' performance menu. Although, then one has to increase the polyphony in any solo instruments, or you'll get notes disappearing . Probably not the best solution, but it gives VERY nice smooth legato in the strings....

Kind Regards

LouisD

Talking Re: How to get the strings play legato?

Thanks! It sounds very nice now. Another question... for some strange reason, every time when I stop the music in sibelius, the last tone keeps on sounding. I takes me a couple of times pausing and stopping before everything is silcence. Why is this?André

I experienced the same in Overture SE. It happened when "sustain" was set to "normal" or "normal+sw" in the Player Options. If you have it set to one of these values, try "MIDI controller" or "MIDI switch" instead.

Red face Re: How to get the strings play legato?

thanks! Everything is normal, now I only need to get the crescendi and diminuendi signs to work. Everything stays in the same volume all the time. How can I let GOP play them correctly without that the cresc-dim. plugin in sibelius messes the sound up?

Post Re: How to get the strings play legato?

Quote Originally Posted by andre van haren
    thanks! Everything is normal, now I only need to get the crescendi and diminuendi signs to work. Everything stays in the same volume all the time. How can I let GOP play them correctly without that the cresc-dim. plugin in sibelius messes the sound up?
    The GPO cresc./dim. plug-in is probably the easiest/fastest way, remember to activate the "Use `C1´ (Modulation) Midi messages instead of `C7´ (volume)" box.

Talking Re: How to get the strings play legato?

thanks! Works perfectly.

Go Back to forum