• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: One last reminisces on NAMM.

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up One last reminisces on NAMM.

I've never experienced anything remotely like the summer NAMM. If I have a million dollars I may have spent it all that weekend! So much new technology and the guitars, keyboards, drums and what have you! Some moments I had to stand back a bit and grab hold of my senses!
    Friday was like a blur. I arrived somewhere near closing time so didn't see much. Saturday I saw plenty and many some famous and some too famous for their own good. Nope, I don't asked for autographs just money.
    Gary, Tom, Joseph B., Jonny lost and his wife, Jerry W., Karl Garrett, BrassPig and many others were just the best group of people one could ever hope to meet and call friends! Thanks people for making my weekend one to remember!
    Sunday was one of the highlights. I met John Sebastian signer from the Loven Spoonful. We talked a bit about the past in music and where it's gone and going . Then we shook hand and went our ways. Small shtuff to many probably but for me it was just downright cool.
    So, I could do it again, and again, and again.
    Thank you once more Mr. Garritan for inviting me! Meeting the man who is responsible for all this was the biggest highlight of the weekend!
    Styxx

Re: One last reminisces on NAMM.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I've never experienced anything remotely like the summer NAMM. If I have a million dollars I may have spent it all that weekend! So much new technology and the guitars, keyboards, drums and what have you! Some moments I had to stand back a bit and grab hold of my senses!
    Friday was like a blur. I arrived somewhere near closing time so didn't see much. Saturday I saw plenty and many some famous and some too famous for their own good. Nope, I don't asked for autographs just money.
    Gary, Tom, Joseph B., Jonny lost and his wife, Jerry W., Karl Garrett, BrassPig and many others were just the best group of people one could ever hope to meet and call friends! Thanks people for making my weekend one to remember!
    Sunday was one of the highlights. I met John Sebastian signer from the Loven Spoonful. We talked a bit about the past in music and where it's gone and going . Then we shook hand and went our ways. Small shtuff to many probably but for me it was just downright cool.
    So, I could do it again, and again, and again.
    Thank you once more Mr. Garritan for inviting me! Meeting the man who is responsible for all this was the biggest highlight of the weekend!
    I'll certainly second all that. It was one of those rare times that one keeps close to his or her heart forever. The fun, the food, the fun, the music, the fun, the toys, and did I mention the fun.

The warmth and friendship that flowed between all who were there was amazing. It was as if we had all been friends in some other life and or time and got together. We just met, but it was as if we had known each other for years and years. My only wish was that all of you who frequent this forum could have been there.

Karl

I'll third that, what they said!

Dan

DPDan at NAMM-

Now, I wasn't going to show everyone this picture, since it was hard to hold the camera still while lying down on the floor. But while everyone was going about their business checking their wallet, trying to figure out the toy to dollar ratio; Our friend DPDan kept walking around staring at the ceiling. "Wow," he’d say, walk a little further, look up and murmur, "wow". It was like he was a birder who kept spotting this very unusual species. I noticed that by the end of the first day, he was massaging his neck. Finally he says to me, do you see those Altec Lansing speakers. Then he started to speak engineer talk and by the third word I was lost. I kind of wished they were really birds. Maybe he can tell you about them, but I do have to say that they were the highlight of his weekend.

What a guy,

Karl

P.S. To see what Dan saw, Check the next post.

Now, what's really funny is that the picture that Karl took is a picture of a heating and air conditioning vent. I suppose that when I pointed to the Altec Speakers, Karl looked up and saw something that did resemble a ceiling speaker grill on steroids. The Altec Lansing "Voice Of the Theatre" speaker is so big he probably saw that and thought ...well, that's some steel structure for the roof. TOO FUNNY ! ! ! These are the incredible speakers that have been behind 99% of the movie theatre screens up till approximately 12 years ago when Altec Lansing as I know it had to close it's doors for good. It was a sad day for me.

There were approximately 160 of them, you do the math. Even if these were on 70 volt transformers and tapped at 100 watts each which is NOTHING, that's 16,000 watts, and that's at 70 volts! WOW!

Let's just say that when an announcement was made, all the noise from the
    quote "awesome equipment" on display was immediately covered with a God-like sound. Here's a picture of the speakers that are in the ceiling at the Indianapolis convention center.

Dimensions are H42" x W30" x D24"

Thanks Karl!
    Dan

Well, He saw those too. Well, I was on my back and maybe on something else. People were stepping over me and the lights were in the old eyes. I just looked for something that wasn't a light and clicked. I'll stand by my photo, or under it.

As long as we're showing ceiling pictures, here's one of the ceiling in the Pope Room where we had dinner Saturday night.

Karl

Hi, Karl, you are truly and inspiration.
    Thanks for everything.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN

Dimensions are H42" x W30" x D24"

Thanks Karl!
    Dan
    So that's what those are DAN! I have two in the back of my car!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum