• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: TQ: Can Tablet PC be used to WRITE in music to Sibelius/Finale/OT??

Share/Bookmark

TQ: Can Tablet PC be used to WRITE in music to Sibelius/Finale/OT??

Does any software exist to allow a tablet PC to be used as a handwriting recognition device for music entry to score writing packages such as FINALE/SIBELIUS/Overture? I'd like to be able to enter in music and other materials by hand with a stylus.

Gary mentioned in a conversation about a product named freestyle, but I can't find any reference in the web?

Re: TQ: Can Tablet PC be used to WRITE in music to Sibelius/Finale/OT??

Actually, you just enter notes as you would with the mouse. No need for handwriting recognition.

Unless you have a convertable tablet, you'll miss that keyboard pretty quickly!

huh? what? Are you missing the point? I dont WANT a mouse + simple or speedy note entry. I WANT to enter music by hand, see it as I wrote it on the stave, THEN translate just like HANDWRTING recgnition performs today.

You use the stylus, not the mouse.

I know...and you USE the standard FINALE shortcut keys to do it. This is NOT handwriting recognition

AFAIK no mainstream notation app does this (yet).

There is at least one that supports editing style commands (Notability perhaps?), but nothing that performs any practical level WYSIWYG tablet/handwritten notation input without scanning. I could be wrong....

I would also like to see such a thing (and suspect it is just around the corner). Coupled with a selection based editing tool set, this would IMHO be the best means for notation input for a number of users (especially for non-power users of already exisiting notation apps).

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Does any software exist to allow a tablet PC to be used as a handwriting recognition device for music entry to score writing packages such as FINALE/SIBELIUS/Overture? I'd like to be able to enter in music and other materials by hand with a stylus.

Gary mentioned in a conversation about a product named freestyle, but I can't find any reference in the web?
    The product I was referring to was Freehand . It is a tablet score reader. You can annotate but you cannot input notes in notation programs.

If you want a tablet for notation entry for FINALE/SIBELIUS/Overture, the Wacon Cintiq is the way to go. I have used the Cintiq with notation programs and it works great. It is much quicker than a mouse for note entry. It can a little awkward and sometimes I prefer the old pencil and staff paper.

Gary Garritan

I've also looked into this, for a different purpose, and eventually came to the conclusion that for me, it's MUCH faster to "type" the notes onto the staff. I can do that much faster than I can write notes on staff paper.

I have, however, used Sibelius in conjunction with an interactive whiteboard and/or presentation tablet in my music theory classroom. It's very, very slick for group class settings. Put up a staff, through an LCD projector. Touch a place on the staff, and *BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE* the note appears. Switch to annotate mode to critique scores onscreen.

Different stuff, but still pretty cool.

Thats assuming you already know the notes and rhythms. you want to use. Too many shortcut keys.

I'd like to be more abstract...entering basically chicken scratch. Graphic notation, shapes, words, pitch sets, motives w/o rhythm, rhythms w/o pitch...anything in my own hand....VERY FAST....VERY CREATIVE.

then selectively either render what is renderable, or play what is playable in either form.

Wouldn't that be most awesome??? Almost like paper...

Sibelius has PhotoScore, which scans music. They sell a pro version, and PhotoScore lite comes free with the notation package. I've tried it, but the results weren't all that great - even on scans from prints. I've been happier keying stuff in by hand, rather than scanning and fixing.

A real-time notation scratch pad would be cool though...

-JF

Go Back to forum