• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB Flugel Demo

Share/Bookmark

JABB Flugel Demo

http://www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/Flugelhorn_Demo.mp3

I'm a little disappointed with this flugel -- it's a little one-dimensional, stuffy, and almost sounds more like a soprano sax than a flugelhorn.

Anyone else hear it this way, or am I just a flugelhorn snob?

D.
    "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds"
    --Psalm 147:3

Re: JABB Flugel Demo

Nope, can't say I agree with you there bud! Sound like a Chuck Mangione horn to me! Just like I remember ...
    Styxx

Sounds sorta like my cornet: has that dark, round tone that I like.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Sounds just like my Yamaha Flugel. Athough I think all flugels lose a little bit of their mellow quality and roundness of sound in the upper register, and most of this demo is played in the upper register. Sounds great.

Jeff

Sorry guys. I removed the link.

The link to the jazz demos was for internal use and not for public. I put it up yesterday for evaluation and I don't know how it became public. Someone must have leaked it.

We want to remain focused on getting this library to market and cannot be unnecesarrily sidetracked. I am now being bombarded with emails by folks who want to be endorsers, demo writers, testers, and some absolutely must have an advanced copy for a project they're working on. Then there's the inevitable posts from those who will have differing personal tastes who want to debate the fine details of what jazz instruments should sound like. We need to remain focused.

This certainly does not make it attractive to post any demos in advance. Based on the critiques we may have to delay JABB a little longer for some fine tuning.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Sorry guys. I removed the link. We want to remain focused on getting this library to market and cannot be unnecesarrily sidetracked. This certainly has discouraged me from wanting to release any demos.

The link to the jazz demos was for internal use and not for public. I put it up yesterday to run by a few people for evaluation and I don't know how it became public. Someone must have leaked it.

Based on the critiques we may have to delay JABB a little longer for some fine tuning.

Gary Garritan
    Yikes. Methinks I've blown it.

In fairness, the demo is (was) largely in the upper register... not the Flugelhorn's best neighborhood. Conventional widsom among my circle of players is "if you're gonna try to play flugel in all upper register, play it on a cornet."

Gary, if you have a flugel demo that's in the lower "sweet" flugel range, I'd love to hear it. I admit, I'm fussy about my flugels. FWIW, I think the saxes sounded great, and the scream trumpet piece was quite good as well.

And everyone -- I sincerely apologize if I've triggered a reaction that slows down release of JABB.

I will now sit down, shut up, and return to waiting quietly for a release announcement... with gaffer's tape over my mouth if necessary. <tape ripping from roll, followed by unspellable, muffled words>.

D.
    "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds"
    --Psalm 147:3

Quote Originally Posted by dancase
    I will now sit down, shut up, and return to waiting quietly for a release announcement... with gaffer's tape over my mouth if necessary. <tape ripping from roll, followed by unspellable, muffled words>.
    Dan, it was not so much your comments, but the post by Thad which has been removed.

And we'll get some more Flugelhorn demos out there in due course.

Gary Garritan

I'm surprised that there has been any negativity at all from the demos, they sounded (as many have stated) quite excellent to my ears and hinted at the wide range of possibilities the library will bring to us all.

I did think it was a little unusual that the page hadn't been officially announced but I don't think you have to worry too much about the 'leaked demos' affecting people's outlook on the library in a negative way - if anything it's made me even more excited about it.

Don't let this discourage you Gary, we believe in you!

Everything I heard on that demo page, had me salivating like Pavlov's dog.
    Based on this somewhat limited evidence,I am convinced the JABB is a major breakthrough.It is going to please and inspire many,many people.Whether it will do likewise with hardcore Jazz Musicians is more open to question.
    If you had Bird,Trane,and Brecker supplying the Sax samples and Miles,Clifford Brown, and Marsalis supplying the Tpt samples,you would still find jazzers who say..."it's not really my thing....".
    I am sure Tom is well aware of this.Just keep doing what you are doing,and we will Patiently(ok, impatiently ) wait for the release.
    On a side-note,I mean no disrespect to the authors of those mouthwatering demo's,but what really interests me,is what I will do with the Lib.What the demo's reveal is tweakable expressive sounds with some great articulations.Surely that is the only information you need from a demo.?
    regards
    ps I love the Rhodes sound it has real personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Dan, it was not so much your comments, but the post by Thad which has been removed.
    Well, I'm sorry that I posted the link -- I had no idea that the demos were not yet intended for public consumption, especially since they were posted to a publicly accessible web page.

Go Back to forum