• Register
  • Help

Topic: Slow string players

Share/Bookmark

Slow string players

Maybe this topic is already covered in posts about sucking sounds, but I would not describe what I hear with that term. It's more like "swells."

In a full-orchestral piece I'm working on, it sounds like the strings all went out for drinks during intermission and came back blotto. There's a swell on every note, fast or slow. THe brass and wind attacks are way ahead of them, and strings seem to overlap into the next notes/measures. It is particularly egregious when I give some held chords to the violins.

This is sucking up my whole piece, as it were. WHere's the coffee for the strings? Patches are all Dry Section Sus-Short (v1, v2, va, vc, cb).

Re: Slow string players

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smith
    Maybe this topic is already covered in posts about sucking sounds, but I would not describe what I hear with that term. It's more like "swells."

In a full-orchestral piece I'm working on, it sounds like the strings all went out for drinks during intermission and came back blotto. There's a swell on every note, fast or slow. THe brass and wind attacks are way ahead of them, and strings seem to overlap into the next notes/measures. It is particularly egregious when I give some held chords to the violins.

This is sucking up my whole piece, as it were. WHere's the coffee for the strings? Patches are all Dry Section Sus-Short (v1, v2, va, vc, cb).

Doug,

Are you using Finale Human PLayback (HP)? This is where most of the swell comes from in my 'performances'. And for me, it's what adds to the realism. However, HP has to be set up properly to suit the style of the performance and there are lots of parameters that need to be set up for proper play back. Once the correct style has been selected, there are further options to control the degree of expressiveness (swell) etc.

The sucking sound is not unrelate. If the note length catches the rise and fall of volume at the wrong point, you get an unpleasant effect. You can use the length control to address this - but HP will play a part in this too if you're using it.

If you're not using HP........

Thanks for the reply, Graham. I use Sibelius.

The attacks will be slow at low velocities. Higher velocities cause faster attacks. This actually brings in another layer of samples in the Sustain+short patches. Also, using legato mode will cause the samples to start past the swell which is another way to speed them up. Usually I shift slower patches before the beat so the play in time with the other patches.

The piece is a jig, pretty quick, lots of very short values (16ths at dotted qtr=102).

I tried using the solo KS strings instead of the section, which didn't change anything. Same waaaAAAH waaaAAAH. I tried the short bow Section strings, which were better from the attack standpoint, but not all my notes are short enough so those patches sound bad in a different way.

I thought legato mode was default in Kontakt (sustain being the opposite?). Is there some way to set legato mode?

I tried tinkering with the Velocity slider for violin 1, violin 2 etc, but if I increase it and leave that patch to tinker with another one, it defaults back to the middle (0%) when I come back. I do not understand the utility of that slider. Makes no perceptible difference in the piece.

You should be able to get pretty fast lines by playing at high velocities (100-127) on the sustain+short string sections.

Legato mode is triggered by the sustain pedal (CC64) with the 2nd option enabled in the pedal modes. Not sure what the option is off the top of my head.

Go Back to forum