• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Personal Orchestra Now available on Receptor

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Personal Orchestra Now available on Receptor

Garritan Personal Orchestra Now available on Receptor

Menlo Park, CA. July 2005—Muse Research, Inc. announced that the Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO), a comprehensive and affordable virtual orchestra software library, is now available for Receptor. The Garritan Personal Orchestra plug-in features nearly 2GB of high-quality orchestra samples. Receptor + GPO: a complete orchestra in a portable, robust, 2-rack space enclosure.

The Garritan Personal Orchestra is a complete orchestra at your fingertips. It contains samples of all the major instruments in a symphony orchestra: strings, brass, woodwinds, and percussion. GPO also features special instruments not found in other orchestral libraries: a Steinway® concert grand piano, Stradivarius, Guarneri and Gagliano violins, Wurlitzer and Venus concert harps, Haynes flutes, Heckel bassoons, a Mustel celeste, a Rudolf von Beckerath concert pipe organ, and many other exquisite instruments.

Receptor is a dedicated hardware plug-in player designed to do one thing: run plug-ins. As such, Receptor is the perfect platform on which to run GPO. With massive polyphony, super low latency, and with MIDI I/O and super-high-grade audio inputs and outputs built in, Receptor makes using software instruments as simple as “plug in and play”. Receptor has its own hard drive and front panel hardware user interface, allowing you to easily take your Receptor with you to a gig or to a scoring session. And back in the studio, Receptor integrates with your computer system through an Ethernet connection, allowing you to completely control Receptor and the plug-ins that are installed on it. You can even edit a plug-in’s GUI right on Receptor by attaching a monitor or remotely using your computer!

As a special launch celebration, customers who purchase GPO for their Receptor between now and September 1st qualify for a discount.

“We are thrilled Receptor users can now take advantage of the Garritan Personal Orchestra” comments Bryan Lanser, Vice President of Business Development for Muse Research. “We believe that GPO is both a powerful tool and a great value for musicians who want to add high quality orchestral samples to their work. The combination of Receptor and GPO is an ideal marriage that is both affordable and convenient, whether you compose, perform live, or are in academia.”

Being able to provide a complete symphony orchestra in a small Receptor is incredible” says Gary Garritan, creator of Personal Orchestra. “GPO and Receptor is a natural. Both of our products focus on providing tools that inspire and make it easier for the musician. Just turn on Receptor, load GPO sounds and start making music."

Power and portability that is easy to use

GPO’s graphical user interface is amazingly easy to use – simply select either a wet or dry version of the conveniently categorized instruments, and start playing. Receptor gives you the ability to run multiple copies of GPO, allowing you to create lush orchestrations using Receptor’s built-in mixer and 10 individual outputs.

When working on the road, Receptor’s convenient 2-line LCD interface makes it easy to call up a preset for instant access. Alternatively, you can completely control your Receptor remotely either using a mouse and monitor connected directly to the unit, or using your computer connected to Receptor via Ethernet using the Remote Control software included with Receptor.

Here is what GPO’s user interface appears like when running on Receptor using Remote control software on a Macintosh:

Receptor owners can download an installer helper program that allows them to install a version of GPO from the www.plugorama.com support site. Additionally, people who purchase a Receptor with Version 1.3 software installed from the factory will have it pre-installed.

For more information, visit www.museresearch.com, or send an email to info@museresearch.com, or call +(650) 326-5400. For more information on GPO or other Garritan music products, please visit www.garritan.com.

Re: Garritan Personal Orchestra Now available on Receptor

How many streaming voices do you get?

/Tobias

Interesting... I kind of like the idea of having samples in a hardware container like this... reduces the number of networked computers... I just wish Receptor was a tad less costly... an extra pc for sampling can be built for considerably less... so I assume their main market is for live performance rather than the studio, where portability makes up the rest of the value.

Will Advanced also be available for Receptor when it is released?

Thumbs up Re: Garritan Personal Orchestra Now available on Receptor

Garritan and Muse Research,

Congratulations and best of luck on this exciting marriage!
    Bela D Media
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    Interesting... I kind of like the idea of having samples in a hardware container like this... reduces the number of networked computers... I just wish Receptor was a tad less costly... an extra pc for sampling can be built for considerably less... so I assume their main market is for live performance rather than the studio, where portability makes up the rest of the value.
    Yeah, Receptor is a great idea, but incredibly overpriced for what it is. I'm giving it a couple of years, in which time hopefully some competitors will come on the market and drive the price down to more realistic levels.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I don't know that it is that overpriced. You have to consider the market for it, and the amount of R & D it requires to make something like this--and to make it bulletproof.

You can get one for less than $1400, street price. My rackmount units that are roadworthy usually end up costing me $3000, by the time they are fully outfitted. Granted, I use 8/8 audio interfaces, and usually put the best going processor in them, but still, a $1400 turnkey solution is not an unreasonable price.

I think that sometimes people get accustomed to thinking in terms of raw parts, and not in terms of what constitutes an actual roadworthy solution. I have built many, many roadwarrior computers over the years, and just the time it takes me to secure the cabling in the case is $100 in billable hours at my rate.

For my way of working and performing, the questions I would have about Receptor would be much more in the line of how one would replace or upgrade a hard drive, what capacity is there for additional storage once you've purchased the unit, those kinds of things. What is the OS? What are the licensing issues to have another hard drive for the unit fully ready to go, in case there is a road emergency or a severe drop? These are all things that I have had to work out on computers that I use on stage and on the road. Sometimes they are extremely difficult issues to cope with, especially when you are dealing with the additional overhead of the industry's goofy and invasive copy protection schemes.

So all of those issues are the ones which begin to add up. Garritan's software, at least the PC versions, runs on NI's rather rickety copy protection. When people have problems with it, they sometimes go days without aid from NI. So does the "Receptorized" version circumvent that? Does the Garritan organization intervene when the end user cannot get a timely response from NI? And when someone is onstage with a horking copy protection problem, does there exist a methodology with which the end user can save his butt? How does one go about licensing more than one receptor with the same software? An NI license on a computer gives you two installs to "burn" before being SOL. So, can a single GPO license authorize two Receptors? How do other manufacturers handle this? Or is there a hidden cost to Receptor that is factored in, i.e., does your software cost double because you lose access to online Challenge/Response management?

Those are the more valid underlying questions.

Unfortunately, and regrettably, decisionmaking in our market these days is a lot more about what kind of legal and protection entanglements are attached to the technology than the technology itself...if you are coming at it from the angle of "what guarantee do I have that my tools are going to be mission-critical in emergencies...when it actually counts?"

Thumbs up Re: Garritan Personal Orchestra Now available on Receptor

This is really interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson

So all of those issues are the ones which begin to add up. Garritan's software, at least the PC versions, runs on NI's rather rickety copy protection. When people have problems with it, they sometimes go days without aid from NI. So does the "Receptorized" version circumvent that? Does the Garritan organization intervene when the end user cannot get a timely response from NI? And when someone is onstage with a horking copy protection problem, does there exist a methodology with which the end user can save his butt? How does one go about licensing more than one receptor with the same software? An NI license on a computer gives you two installs to "burn" before being SOL. So, can a single GPO license authorize two Receptors? How do other manufacturers handle this? Or is there a hidden cost to Receptor that is factored in, i.e., does your software cost double because you lose access to online Challenge/Response management?

There is a different registration process in lieu of the typical NI challenge'response system with the Receptor. When one receives their Receptor GPO i is already installed and auhtorized. The "Receptorized" version circumvents the challenge/response system.

Also, a single GPO license can authorize two Receptors. This is done by Muse Research.

Even with the normal software version of GPO you have 30 days to register and we do intervene if a person has a problem.

Receptor & GPO....Ahh...the ultimate ROMpler!

Actually, this is kind of cool. But, for the same price...couldn't I just get another laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Actually, this is kind of cool. But, for the same price...couldn't I just get another laptop?
    You could, but I think the Receptor comes with a lot of pre-installed plugs and sounds as well. Before I joined Bela D Media, when I was running LastLibs, we looked into our libraries being featured as the first sample library within Receptor, its even eluded to in the old Receptor thread that was bumped from a year ago. But we couldn't make it work at that time because we weren't in a player.

But I did try over a year ago to have my library come preinstalled on Receptor, much like what Gary is doing now.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Go Back to forum