• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Roland RD-700SX Stage Piano

Share/Bookmark

Smile Roland RD-700SX Stage Piano

I'm putting this in this forum, becuase frankly this relates to what I'm going to use to play samples. Piano samples, to be specific!

I have two controllers in my studio for evaluation purposes over the long weekend - the Roland RD-700SX, and the CM UF8. (Hey, it's a long weekend in Canada, eh!) I was only interested in the Roland, but they (the dude at the store) wanted me to test the CM as well.

CM UF8 is not good for playing piano samples, IMHO. Play on the keys for about 20 sec. and you will realize this! The keys bounce back too quickly. The attacks are not right, There seems to be a lot of initial resistance, then not enough. They just don't feel right, for piano, although the controller may be fine for other things. (Not to mention only four velocity curves that you can't edit) !!! And this is supposed to be a master controller?

The Roland RD-700SX on the other hand, is SUPERB, and I will be buying one as soon as I can save up, hopefully in the next month or two. (Hey I finally got my credit card paid off, and it's going to stay that way!)

Very responsive, very comfortable, very intuitive. Doesn't really feel like I'm playing a keyboard.

In short, a fantastic controller for playing piano samples, and the internal pianos are OK, as well - and will be useful for when I don't want to bother firing up the computer, loading samples etc. Sometimes nice to just switch on, and play.

I truly love this keyboard, and won't be happy about having to return it to the store on Tues. AM!

I haven't been able to find out if this is the same action as the HP-103 (graded hammer action, without escapement), but it doesn't matter, it works. (It is graded hammer action, and is described as one of Roland's high end actions, but that's all I've been able to find out.

I've been testing with the Art Vista Virtual Grand, and also The Grand (Steinberg). I can't test my Giga pianos, since I have removed Giga 3 from my system. (That's another story).

Before, I would play and record (MIDI) the performance, and then have to edit the veolcities of various notes that were sticking out etc., but not now. All I have to edit is my "mistakes".

So, there is so much discussion about the various sampled pianos, but I have discovered that the keyboard you use to play them can make a BIG difference. (I have been using a Kurzweil K2500X, but the RD-700SX will make a big difference, at least for me!) The player/keyboard/sample connection will be better, and frankly more like playing a real piano, which I guess is the point).

I have also found it be very much less tiring to play on.

Just thought that I'd share my excitement!

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Cool Re: Roland RD-700SX Stage Piano

Hi Lougheed.

I know exactly what you are talking about. When it comes to playing other sampled instruments, it doesn't seem as big a deal, as long as you are using a pretty descent high end keyboard. But when it comes to Piano, you better have done your homework, again, that is if the feel is important to you.

When it comes to playing sampled pianos, the feel of the keyboard to me is just as important as the sound. They go hand in hand. It took me a couple of months to decide on my piano controller and I ended up buying a Kawai MP9500, a couple of years ago, which they don't make anymore. Have you tried one of these before. They have real wooden keys, and even a miniature grand piano hammer action mechanism inside the casing. I used to use an Alesis QS8 prior to that, which is a pretty good overall keyboard, But will not hold a candle to the Kawai as a piano controller.

I have tried the roland RD-700 before but never the 700SX, I am assuming its a pretty darn good keyboard, since I've heard lot of good things about it. I almost bought an A-90 controller a long time ago, but due to the price tag got the alesis instead. I guess with a name like Roland you can't loose.

Re: Roland RD-700SX Stage Piano

Quote Originally Posted by ddarwin7
    It took me a couple of months to decide on my piano controller and I ended up buying a Kawai MP9500, a couple of years ago, which they don't make anymore. Have you tried one of these before.
    No I haven't. Is the Kawai MP4 the successor to the MP9500?

I have tried the roland RD-700 before but never the 700SX
    I've read that the action in the 700 is quite different than the 700SX.

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Yes, I would think that the Kawai MP4 is the new stagepiano they are marketing in place of the bulky MP9500. It looks very similar. I looked it up to see what some of the differences are. Similar features, but no wooden keys, they have been replaced by a lighter keyboard. And it weighs 1/3 less than the MP9500. Never tried the MP4's yet, so hard to say what the feel would be like.

One of these days, I'd have to run over to the guitar Center to see what the RD-700SX feels like. The feel is more important to me than the internal sounds, because I use samples anyway.

Is the Kawai MP4 the successor to the MP9500?
    No, it is not! I tried the MP4 some weeks ago. The features are interesting but, I found the keyboard far far away from MP9500 action. Even worse than the Kawai ES5.

I have been using a Kurzweil K2500X, but the RD-700SX will make a big difference, at least for me!
    I owned a Kurzweil PC88 and I sold it. I was hesitating between a Kurzweil PC1X and a Roland RD700sx, and I bought this last one with absolutly no doubt and no regret.
    See here http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35135

Hi,

i've a mp9000 keyboard.

if i should buy a new keyboard, i will buy a Roland 700SX :

_ incredible Steinway D sound
    _ real sympathice resonance / harmonics (mp4 don't have it)

and others features

Regards,

Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier
    Hi,

if i should buy a new keyboard, i will buy a Roland 700SX :

and others features
    Other Features = excellent controller for playing the Nice Steinway!!!

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Sounds like Roland may have done an incredible job with the 700SX model, just from listening to some of the comments here. I’ve been long enough on this forum to know that when it comes to piano stuff, xav93 and Olivier, know what they are talking about. So now I am curious, I definitely need to go and check this keyboard out myself. Now I am also glad that I have the MP9500 and not the MP4. I am a little disappointed with Kawai’s direction on this, you would think that they would have come out with something better than the MP9500, like incorporate full hammer action or something, but I guess not. But they do make awesome real pianos, even their base model G10. I've played one of these, just awesome sound. I will be dearly holding on to my MP9500.

Lougheed, I hear exactly what you are saying about the UF8.

I just got it and am wondering if I should keep it.

Everyone seems to love this Roland but it is four times the price of the CME so i might have to make due for the moment with this.

I suppose I could probably get used to this strange action, but so far I am bummed out.

The new MP8 would appear to be the successor to the MP9500, not the MP4.

http://www.kawai.de/?&lang=1&Page=Pr...etails&pid=103

The MP8 has the wooden keys and the weight!

Go Back to forum