• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is this normal?

Share/Bookmark

Is this normal?

If you boot DAW, load Gigastudio, load a piano (PMI, Gigapiano, anything), and immediately play something quite heavy (in my case a brahms rhapsody), I get all kind of weird things going on (re-pedaling noises etc).

However if I continue to play for 5 mins or so, it seems to stop doing this.

Stupid question, but is this somehow related to Gigastudio maybe using samples for the first time or something? Or would you expect it to play (playing live here btw) perfectly from the word go?

Thanks Steve

Re: Is this normal?

Did you at least wait long enough for it to load up all the instruments?

Yeah I did. Maybe I should try and get a sample mp3 of whats going on.

I know I used to get, a similar problem on my old pc, but that was woefully underpowered for GS3. This machine should be fine. I'm never hitting more than 100 poly, nor going over 23% CPU usage.

Steve

OK, I've created a couple of small mp3's that demonstrate what I'm talking about.. Trouble is I have nowhere to host them at the moment.

Is anyone prepared to recieve a couple of 121Kb files via email and give them a listen.

It may be something you all have encountered, but I don't know.

Thanks Steve

These types of funny noises and pops are typical of my experiences with running GS3 from a standing start. It's just one of those things, and, as you said, it settles down.

Try doing a chromatic run up and down the keyboard before you start anything serious. That might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Dudley Simpson
    These types of funny noises and pops are typical of my experiences with running GS3 from a standing start. It's just one of those things, and, as you said, it settles down.

Try doing a chromatic run up and down the keyboard before you start anything serious. That might help.
    Maybe you also try to not touch anything in GS that gives a very quite performance without too big problems. GS is very sensitive you know! In fact you need to run the program on a dedicated machine!!!! No no no don'nt even try to install other software because GS needs all of the resources!!! If you may want to run a sequencer go buy another machine! Yeah yeah that is GS!

like with any other audio programm:

do you have other cpu hungry progresses running in the background or while startup?
    Digital AudionetworX

Thanks for the responses.

Currently I have both the sequencer and GS3 on the same machine ( I will be building a second machine once, I'm sure I've got around the issues I've had building this machine). However, in this case I'm running GS3 on it's own (with nothing else in the background).

This really only seems to have with large piano libraries. (Probably due to the polyphony I would guess).

I wondered if it has anything to do with the placement of GPulse?

Currently I have the following setup:
    Drive 1: (EIDE) OS, GS3, GPulse
    Drive 2: (EIDE) Recording Drive
    Drive 3: (SATA) Samples.

Could that have any effect?

Thanks Steve

You haven't got note stealing for block chords set to the default have you?

D

I've never really understood that setting...

What I've tested is setting the polyphony to 200 plus (which I don't get near), and setting the block chord to either 6 (default) or a much higher setting of 120 or more.

Either way, I still get the oddities.

Go Back to forum