• Register
  • Help

Topic: TWO HARD DRIVES, CONFIGURATION

Share/Bookmark

TWO HARD DRIVES, CONFIGURATION

I have two identical SATA 7200rpm hardrives. I also have 2 gig of ram.

I have Sonar on Drive 1 which is my main drive. I save all my projects and editing on Drive 2.

WHICH HARD DRIVE SHOULD I STORE MY SAMPLE LIBRARIES for better performance. Drive 1 or Drive 2?

THANKS!!

- Steve

Re: TWO HARD DRIVES, CONFIGURATION

Forgot to mention, my paging file is on drive 2.

Ideally you would have another dedicated drive for samples. But to stay on track with your question, I would put the samples on drive 2 and then move the paging file back to drive 1. You really don't want your sample drive thrashing with the paging file all the time. It will cause problems. Are you using a lot of audio in your sequencer stuff,. If you are, you may have the same problem with having audio and paging on the same drive. If you're really locked into two drives, I might put the audio and the samples on one and the sequencer, opreating system, and paging file on the other.

Mixednuts (aka Rob)

I have posted this question in a number of forums and have received different answers, some say sample library on drive 2 others, say use the main drive!!

My pagefile is on drive 2 and all my projects will be saved on drive 2 as well. My logic is, as I am recording my projects I will be reading from the main hard drive (OS and where my samples will be stored) then writing to my second hard drive (Where my projects will be saved).

I already have 2 gigs of ram so my paging file should not be an issue. GPO should not be an issue either because the samples are stored in RAM. But when using other applications, such as Kontakt, etc, where samples may not be stored in memory, wondering what hard drive set up will be the best (For 2 identical hard drives 72oo rpm)

- Steve

Well FWIW, my opinion remains the same as my original response. I'm sure you'll get it worked out. You may decide that one more drive would be a good investment. It doesn't even have to be a top of the line drive, just a drive with a separate set of heads. Then you could have one for system and paging, one for samples and one for recording audio.

Mixednuts (aka Rob)

> I have posted this question in a number of forums

It’s VERY annoying to take the time to answer someone, only to find that they’ve posted their question in another section, and already been answered. Most people won’t bother to help you next time…

Go Back to forum