• Register
  • Help

Topic: 2 Hard Drives, Configuration

Share/Bookmark

2 Hard Drives, Configuration

I have two identical SATA 7200rpm hardrives. I also have 2 gig of ram.

I have Sonar on Drive 1 which is my main drive. I save all my projects and editing on Drive 2.

WHICH HARD DRIVE SHOULD I STORE MY SAMPLE LIBRARIES for better performance. Drive 1 or Drive 2?

THANKS!!

- Steve

Re: 2 Hard Drives, Configuration

Forgot to mention, My paging file is on drive 2 also.

If your samples stream from disk, put them on drive 2. If they load into RAM, then it doesn't matter.

You have this question in several categories of the forum. I gave you an opinion in the other thread that asks the same thing.

Mixednuts (aka Rob)

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg96
    You have this question in several categories of the forum. I gave you an opinion in the other thread that asks the same thing.

Mixednuts (aka Rob)
    OT: Which wireless midi system are you using?

Thanks

Ernie

Not sure if you were talking to me but I use the Kenton Midistream wireless midi. The only possible problem with it is that it only supports one UHF frequency at the current time (I can't remember which one). I even had a problem with some interference one day and I called them to see if they could suggest anything and they taught me over the phone how to go into the transmitter and boost the output gain of the transmitter. Technically it's probably not FCC legal now but it's not like I'm going to jam KCBS News Radio or something. Works great. You can find it at www.kentonuk.com . There's also the Limex. You can find that at www.limexmidi.com . That one's kind of interesting because they make a model that does both your audio and your midi in one unit. Great for handling your wireless mic along with your midi keyboard. It has selectable frequencies (I think 5). And then there's the MidiJet and MidiJet Pro (longer distance). I don't know the website for that one. It's real inexpensive but I don't know anyone using it so I couldn't tell you how it is.

Kenton told me on the phone they're close to releasing a selectable frequency model but it's hard to know what 'close' means. When they told me they were close to getting FCC approval for their US version of the unit, it took about 4 months after that for it to show up. I bought it directly from them but you can buy it in the US for even less money. I was just in a hurry and at the time no one had started reselling them in the US yet. I think I got one of the very first US units shipped out.

Probably more info than you wanted. Sorry :-)

I have posted this question in a number of forums and have received different answers, some say sample library on drive 2 others, say use the main drive!!

My pagefile is on drive 2 and all my projects will be saved on drive 2 as well. My logic is, as I am recording my projects I will be reading from the main hard drive (OS and where my samples will be stored) then writing to my second hard drive (Where my projects will be saved).

I already have 2 gigs of ram so my paging file should not be an issue. GPO should not be an issue either because the samples are stored in RAM. But when using other applications, such as Kontakt, etc, where samples may not be stored in memory, wondering what hard drive set up will be the best (For 2 identical hard drives 72oo rpm)

- Steve

Go Back to forum