• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: stuff

Share/Bookmark

stuff

so I'm working on the new Queensryche record. Doing everything from Orchestrations to Editing, assitant mixing/engineering, and some stuff on either side of the extremes. Been up in washington for a couple of weeks spending way too much time in the studio.

I jsut wanted to give a heads up on somethings I'm noticing.

I brought up a half a terrrabyte of samples, some custom, some store bought just so I had a huge pallete to work with incase they wanted to try some wild stuff. It was a good idea because they're really into using lot of crazy stuff I didnt think I'd be using.

I havent dont much in the realm of actually sitting and working with orchestral samples in a few months (out of the realm of editing). So having a project thats really requiring some work out of me in this regard is really inspiring and fun. I'm also reaquainting myself with how powerful our libraries have gotten in the realm of actually USING them, and not analyzing them. I'm using mixes of everythign and having a ball with it all.

Also, working in the studio and working with another engineer and producer who is amazing at what he does really helps refine my skills in this area. I've always been a picky bitch on this board about the way things sound, and thats because I started out as an engineer first (well guitar player...but come on...its about tone)

I'm finding that I had started to forget what it was like to record really good instruments with really good mics in a good room with really good HARDWARE compressors in a good all analog chain. Sampling and modeling just wont do it all, and I'm happy that I'm being reminded of it in the most subtle ways.

Dont get me wrong, I'm impressing EVERYONE with the quality that our fine developers have given to us all, still, as I work in this all again, I'm being reminded about all the things that many people dont have the ears for.

the subtleness of adding a slight reflection by placing an instrument in a different part of the room, the drastic difference air movement makes on a mic that would be much to subtle for people not listening for it.

I'm glad that I get to hop back in for a moment and be reminded about this world and not get lost in front of my computer at my home rig...no matter how much I miss it, and do wish I was there at times.

I'm also getting to put alot of the concepts I've been coming up with to the test and jsut my general observations. Finding out if I really know what I'm talking about with samples, or if I'd just gotten lost in the tech talk and jibber jabber.

\m/

Ash/KingIdiot/Ashif/....bob...whatever
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Thumbs up Re: stuff

ROCK THE HOUSE KING AND BEST OF LUCK!

Any release date?
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Re: stuff

Good luck mate, rock on. Do you have to turn up to work in spandex?
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

heh, no chaps, n spandex, and no leather.

these guys werent really known for any of that crap tho....well maybe the leather in the warning days

realse is jan
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

KI, I saw Queensryche with Dream Theater a few years ago in Portland. It was a blast - especially when both bands got together for a jam at the end. They looked like they were having at least as much fun as the audience.

Best of luck on the album - and on rediscovering the subtleties of the art of studio engineering. I wish I could join you!

-JF

I saw Queensryche with Judas Priest last month and thought they sounded great, better IMO then they did when I saw them with Dream Theater two years ago.. plus they threw us old school guys a bone and played a medly of the first EP, I loved it!

They played a song called 'I'm an American' that's off of the new album and I really liked it, I'll definitely be picking that up.

It must be a great experience working with those guys and getting out of the 'box' for a while.

Ashif, that's really cool!

I've heard that on one of the albums the drummer of Queensryche started to play the kickdrum only, and then the rest (snare, hihat etc.) being overdubbed one by one to get rid of microphone spill. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    Ashif, that's really cool!

I've heard that on one of the albums the drummer of Queensryche started to play the kickdrum only, and then the rest (snare, hihat etc.) being overdubbed one by one to get rid of microphone spill. Is that true?
    Well, it's true for many disco albums.

Yup; I recently had the pleasure of producing a jazz cd with live rhythm and horn sections with all high end gear. Nothing like it; what a pleasure!

As an aside, what's with the whole "King Idiot" moniker?

Go Back to forum