• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Atmosphere - thoughts?

Share/Bookmark

Atmosphere - thoughts?

To any users of Atmosphere here, I have some questions, as I personally don't own this product and would like to know more about it.

* What is the variety of sounds like in the library? In terms of moods, styles, timbres, etc. Is there enough material to keep you going for a long time?

* How musical and usable are most of the sounds? If have Absynth, Altered States, or Morphology, how does the usability compare to those in more 'traditional' compositions?

* How do you integrate Atmosphere with your projects? Does it serve as the foundation for an underscore track while you add other elements, or does it round out the track? Or more specifically, for what kind of projects do you use Atmosphere?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Re: Atmosphere - thoughts?

I consider Atmosphere to be a classic among VSTi.
    It will well complement Absynth, Morphology and Altered States.

Atmosphere, as most here know, is wonderful. It is my go to plug for anything synth related. It is deep. It does virtually anything synth-related
    very well, from classic analog to wacky sound design resources. It features a huge library.
    It is easy to use and easy to tweak. Perhaps not a first choice if programming your own sounds is a priority, but absolutely a must if working quickly with lots of quality choices is important.

Sincerely,

Rob

Do a quick search for "Atmosphere" on the main and VSTi sub-forum, and you'll find a wealth of user feedback. I am also a proud Atmosphere user, and love its variety and versatility! Its absolutely incredible!! (so dont eat it...ok bad joke )

I do not own any of the other products you mentioned, so I dont know how well it compares, but right now, Atmosphere is all I need. In fact, I'm using it almost exclusively as the "mood setter" in my latest film project. I'm even using it for some quick string lines!

Eric is an amazing sound designer. I dont think I've ever heard anything of his that sounds "bad." Its a must have.

Atmosphere is a synth sound collection, but with a definite bent toward weird or atmospheric sounds. It has a bunch of normal synth sounds as well, but that's not it's strong suit.

I have Morphology as well but never use it because Atmosphere does almost everything Morphology does, but better, IMO.

Absynth is a real synthesizer, which Atmosphere is not. Atmosphere is a sample playback instrument. I'm told many of Atmosphere's sounds were created using Absynth. I love Absynth. I also love Atmosphere and probably use it more than Absynth, but that's probably because as a TV composer, I have to do a lot of quick and dirty "atmospheric" cues.

I also have Altered States (unless I'm mixing up the title) as an Akai CDRom. It's atmospheric, but loop oriented. Pretty cool, but I haven't used it in years. I found it had to be a starting point, rather than an added ingredient, for songs or cues. At least for me.

Bottom line: if you do any kind of media scoring and time is important, Atmosphere is a must have.

- Mike Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    . . . The current version of Atmosphere uses third party software. Spectrasonics has since developed their own engine, currently used in Stylus RMX. I would think that Eric would have designed something that could eventually be used for all of his products. . . .
    I hope not. RMX crashes on me a lot more than Trilogy or Atmosphere. I like that old UVI engine as its very stable and loads fast. All the Plugsound as well as Xtreme FX (I think?) use it as well and those are amongst my most crash free plugs.

With that said, Stylus RMX is a huge leap up in coolness from Stylus Classic, which I would never go back to, so if a new engine for Atmosphere somehow adds a similar jump up in versatility, well, good-bye UVI! Yeah, I realize I'm contradicting myself, but there's that constant fight between coolness and stability that I have to deal with.

- Mike Greene

Thanks for all the kind words guys...I'm so glad to hear that you guys who own Atmosphere are getting so much use out it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    Atmosphere is a synth sound collection, but with a definite bent toward weird or atmospheric sounds. It has a bunch of normal synth sounds as well, but that's not it's strong suit.
    For more traditional uses, Atmosphere actually has a lot more than you might realize...just go a little lower into the menu directories. The ambient and weirder stuff is more in the beginning of the directory.

Have a listen to the demos pages for examples of more traditional use, especially Maarten's pieces:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrum...ere/demos.html

Absynth is a real synthesizer, which Atmosphere is not. Atmosphere is a sample playback instrument.
    Actually, that's not the case...Atmosphere is most certainly a "real" synth. Sample-based oscillators do not disqualify a synth as being "real" or not.

By that definition, here is a list of other synths that are not actually "real":

PPG Wave
    Waldorf Microwave
    Roland JD-800/JD-990
    Korg Triton
    Korg DW-8000
    Maelstrom
    etc.....

It all depends on what you do with the oscillators. :-)

I'm told many of Atmosphere's sounds were created using Absynth.
    No, that's an urban legend...not really that many - just a few waveforms in fact. Here's the full list of what we used to create the waveforms:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrum...tmos_gear.html

I love Absynth.
    Me too! It's a phenomenal instrument that I really enjoy using.

Bottom line: if you do any kind of media scoring and time is important, Atmosphere is a must have.

- Mike Greene
    Thanks! Glad you guys feel that way! :-)

All the best,

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    I hope not. RMX crashes on me a lot more than Trilogy or Atmosphere.
    Something's wrong then...that shouldn't be happening at all.

If you EVER have a crash you should report it to tech support and we can suss out why it's happening.

RMX is extremely stable now and there should be no crashing happening in anyone's rigs...so let us know what's happening so we can get you up and running properly.

spectrum

I also have Altered States (unless I'm mixing up the title) as an Akai CDRom. It's atmospheric, but loop oriented. Pretty cool, but I haven't used it in years. I found it had to be a starting point, rather than an added ingredient, for songs or cues. At least for me.
    Altered States is a ~5GB library in NI Intakt format.. I think you are talking about a different product.

To everyone; thanks for the opinions and info! I appreciate it.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Hey Zircon,

Out of all the libs I have, Atmosphere has always been one of my favs. You will NOT be disappointed with any patch if you buy it, and don't let the price fool you, this instrument is HUGE and is worth twice the price! Check out the patch list here: http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrum...mos_patch.html
    It just goes on and on and on......
    Liam
    "The biggest risk of all , is never taking a risk"

Go Back to forum