• Register
  • Help

Topic: Organization of presets

Share/Bookmark

Organization of presets

In another topic, it is mentioned that EWQLSO is a little difficult to use. What with all the abreviations and sometimes confusing patch layout, I can't disagree.

But it seems to me that one helpful and easy improvement would be to stop making patches list alphabetically. Pull up EWQLSO Gold and start looking for "Basses" for your string section. Are the patches with the other strings? Nope. They're right between "6 French Horns" and "Alto Flute" because that's alphabetically where "9 Double Basses" goes. Not intuitive.

Within categies, it would also be nice if patches were organized so the most common "bread and butter" patches were at the top. EWQLSO could really benefit from this because they use so many cryptic abbreviations, it can be really difficult finding a basic patch (don't most of us use the same "sustain" patches 90% of the time when writing?) so you can lay down a simple violins line. Annoying.

Let's look at a company who figures out stuff like this: Spectrasonics (as usual.) Pull up Trilogy, select a particular electric bass and look at the set of patches. Yes, it's alphabetical, but with one exception. What they consider the most useful patch (for each instrument) is magically at the top! They merely insert a "-" at the beginning so it goes to the top. Simple.

When I'm in a hurry, which is almost always, this is a big help.

Here's another complaint: Why do the patch names in Kompakt have to be so short? If we're talking gigs of samples, let's splurge for a few k of memory for longer names. That way, we don't have to have so many annoying abbreviations.

OK, now I'm done!

- Mike Greene

Re: Organization of presets

Someone once told me that you can rename the folders as long as you don't move the patches deeper into the file structure. I just tried it with Gold, and it appears to work. I changed the folder names as follows, so at least they are grouped logically:

Brass -- 4 Trombones
    Brass -- 4 Trumpets...

Strings -- 10 Cellos
    Strings -- 10 Violas...

Woodwinds -- ...

Percussion -- ....

Interestingly, it does not seem to mes up my Multis either. Now if I can only change the patch names. Probably should quit while the gettin's good. LOL!

Hi Mike, you probably know this, but you can always rename the patches to make them appear in a different order within the player.

You could if you wanted, arrange all the patches in score order by numbering them, 001a, 001b, (different articulation, same instrument) 002, 003, etc in front of each file.

Another approach is to create your own multi's. If you have Kontakt this is even better as you can assign 16 instruments to a multi instead of the 8 that Kompakt gives you.

I have a Gold template spread across 3 machines, in Kontakt 2.

I have a short bows and percussion multi's on the host (for quickest latency) plus a long bows, brass and winds multi's on the other machines.

The naming convention can be frustrating, but I think if you arrange things into a template that suits your workflow it helps.

Oh, Kontakt would let you have longer file names to if you wanted. Instead of "PFL Leg" - you cuold have something like; "Picc Flute Legato"

Cheers,

Scott.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Hi Mike, you probably know this, but you can always rename the patches to make them appear in a different order within the player.

You could if you wanted, arrange all the patches in score order by numbering them, 001a, 001b, (different articulation, same instrument) 002, 003, etc in front of each file.

Another approach is to create your own multi's. If you have Kontakt this is even better as you can assign 16 instruments to a multi instead of the 8 that Kompakt gives you.

I have a Gold template spread across 3 machines, in Kontakt 2.

I have a short bows and percussion multi's on the host (for quickest latency) plus a long bows, brass and winds multi's on the other machines.

The naming convention can be frustrating, but I think if you arrange things into a template that suits your workflow it helps.

Oh, Kontakt would let you have longer file names to if you wanted. Instead of "PFL Leg" - you cuold have something like; "Picc Flute Legato"

Cheers,

Scott.
    That's funny Scott,

I was editing my post while you posted yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Hi Mike, you probably know this . . .
    Actually, no I didn't! Thanks for the tip! Since I couldn't edit much of anything else with these libraries, it hadn't occured to me that I could change names in the folders. My bad.

My complaints still stand, though. I've used EWQLSO enough by now that I already know the dopey positions of the various instruments and patches, so renaming at this point isn't really worthwhile.

With Kompakt being a platform for so many sample playback instruments, it would be nice to see them improve their end of this. First, why limit EW et al to alphabetical listings in the first place? A date sort or some other trick would allow a logical ordering without resorting to spaces, numbers or other tricks.

And why not let Kompakt have longer names? Especially if I want to put numers in front of the patches. If I were EW, I'd apply a little pressure.

And visually, check out the difference when looking at a patch list in Atmosphere versus Kompakt. Atmosphere is so much easier to read just in terms of fonts, size and backgrounds.

- Mike Greene

Go Back to forum