• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tutorial on Tap Tempo with DP and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Tutorial on Tap Tempo with DP and GPO

Hi Everyone,

In past posts, I've made reference to the fact that I use the tap tempo feature along with GPO in my teaching program. I think that by the time MOTU got around to writing page 843 (where this feature is explained) they were running out of ink. Hence, I have been asked a few times how to set up this feature.

I'm sure other sequencers also have this capability. My students enjoy playing with GPO, and it is a little different than just playing duets.

So here is a little tutorial on the steps involved in setting up and playing. I hope it might be of help to someone.

Tap Tempo With DP and GPO

Karl

P.S. Please excuse the sloppy recording. I just through something together… not a keeper.

Re: Tutorial on Tap Tempo with DP and GPO

Karl,

This is fabulous! Great writing, screenshots and examples. This will sure be a great help for thos sunig Tap Tempo with DP and GPO. Thanks for taking the time to write this tutorial. I hope you don't mind my copying it below:

Using Tap Tempo Within Digital Performer

by Karl Garrett

I often use the Tap Tempo feature in Digital Performer to play back previously recorded midi tracks along with my guitar students as they play (or attempt to play) a piece. The student gets a chance to play in kind of a group setting, yet, since I am in control of the group, I can coordinate those GPO players with the student’s abilities.

It works like this. I have prerecorded a background and or complimentary parts to a piece on which the student is working. It is important to have the beats lined up with the beats in the conductor track. So when recording this I use either a click track or I'll quantize in some fashion.

You can setup DP to respond to any midi controller such as a key or foot switch. You decide how many beats you want to count off with, ala Lawrence Welk, when you set up. You simply tap and count these beats and the student and GPO make music together. I have found it helpful to include some percussive elements in the accompaniment, usually on the beats, so that the student learns to keep his/her tempo fairly constant. Once he/she gets the hang of playing in time, I can simply disarm the percussive track and work with the student on proper phrasing and such, yet still be able to keep control of GPO to accommodate the student’s needs.

For this tutorial I recorded the beginning of Romance For Guitar, which many of you might know. I used strings, flute, and vibes for the percussive track.

Once the midi is done, it can be used in teaching or whatever with the Tap tempo feature.

Here is how to set up Tap tempo to play along with a live performance.

Open your midi file. This little midi file is in 3/4 time.

Make sure that the Tempo Control is set to Conductor track.

In Setup menu, select Receive Sync.

Select the following when the window opens:

1. Sync to port = Any
    2. Type of Sync = Tap tempo
    3. Midi beat input data: Source = Your Keyboard, mine is a KX88, but anything that sends midi data that you can tap, pound, or stomp on will do.
    4. Then place your curser in the Event Box and play the key or pedal you want to use for tapping.
    5. In the Sync count off beats box type the number of beats you want. I used 3 since I'm in 3/4 time for this example.
    6. Select Sync recorded tempo to: = Internal clock. You are not using any kind of clock source from your keyboard, only a midi event from the pressed key or other controller.
    7. Now close the window.

Select: "Slave To External Sync" from the Setup menu. Make sure that this has a check mark in front of it.

You will notice that the Countoff and Wait buttons become grayed out and that the "Slave To External Sync" Button becomes active.

Now you are good to go. Press the play button. The button patiently blinks until you are ready to begin.

Start tapping at the desired tempo and after the countoff you chose concludes, the piece will start playing. The faster you tap, the faster the piece will play and the slower you tap, well you get the idea.
    That's it.
    Just in case you may be interested, here is an mp3 of this little snippet, with guitar and GPO.

Karl:

An excellent tutorial. By now I have it memorized because, for some unknown reason, it doesn't work on my Mac. The play indicator blinks, but the cursor doesn't begin moving after tapping my specified beats (key C5).

I emailed "MagicDave" at MOTU who is, by far, one of the best DP gurus to grace our planet. He asked me a lot of questions which were answered by your tutorial and some more to boot, but even "MagicDave" hasn't found the answer yet. As you know, I'm getting all kinds of MIDI to the right places, but the playback won't start with the blinking arrow when "Slave to External Sync" is selected.

It will be a real kick to see if I am the only one in the world that has this problem. Gee, I always wanted to be a standout.........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

What a way to stand out. Yeh, It would be much better to be outstanding.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Karl,

I hope you don't mind my copying it below:
    Gary, I was also playing around with web stuff while writing this. I didn't know you could use html on this forum. Did you just copy and paste everything? It looks like that's what you did. Gosh, what a guy!

Thanks,

Karl

THanks Karl!

Very useful information for a more expressive performance!!

Brasspig

P.S. Thanks for Peter and the Wolf. What a wonderful CD!! I owe you!
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Hi Everyone,

In past posts, I've made reference to the fact that I use the tap tempo feature along with GPO in my teaching program. I think that by the time MOTU got around to writing page 843 (where this feature is explained) they were running out of ink. Hence, I have been asked a few times how to set up this feature.

I'm sure other sequencers also have this capability. My students enjoy playing with GPO, and it is a little different than just playing duets.

So here is a little tutorial on the steps involved in setting up and playing. I hope it might be of help to someone.

Tap Tempo With DP and GPO

Karl

P.S. Please excuse the sloppy recording. I just through something together… not a keeper.
    Thank You Karl! I'm one of those dumb dumbs who was never able to get that feature to work! Nice tutorial, very nice.

Thanks!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Karl:

An excellent tutorial. By now I have it memorized because, for some unknown reason, it doesn't work on my Mac. The play indicator blinks, but the cursor doesn't begin moving after tapping my specified beats (key C5).

I emailed "MagicDave" at MOTU who is, by far, one of the best DP gurus to grace our planet. He asked me a lot of questions which were answered by your tutorial and some more to boot, but even "MagicDave" hasn't found the answer yet. As you know, I'm getting all kinds of MIDI to the right places, but the playback won't start with the blinking arrow when "Slave to External Sync" is selected.

It will be a real kick to see if I am the only one in the world that has this problem. Gee, I always wanted to be a standout.........

Jack
    Don't feel bad Jack, I just tried it and it did the same thing. I've been a DP user from the earliest days of the product, and to this day I've never been able to get this feature to work. What the h%ll is goin on here?

Let me know if you find a solution!

Rick

Thanks Rickd. I'm doing everything right and could teach this technique as I have reviewed the procedure a hundred times in my head, but still no luck. I have a feeling, since I am receiving MIDI at all of the right locations and following procedure correctly, that DP may not be working as it should for some strange reason.

I've got "MagicDave" from MOTU on the case and he is, by far, one of the greatest support people I have ever worked with. We'll see........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Jack & Rick,

If MagicDave can't figure it out for you, than no one can. I have seen him solve incredible problems for people on the MOTU forum. Since I was one of the first Performer users with version 1 (long before there was a Digital), and since I did some demo work for them many years ago, I got to talk with him for a long time at the winter NAMM, and there is just no one that knows DP like him. I sure would like to know what's going on here. You seem to be doing everything right. Best of luck and I'll keep trying to figure out something for you.

Karl

Go Back to forum