• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking for a "Distorted Reality" type sound: Options? Opinions?

Share/Bookmark

Looking for a "Distorted Reality" type sound: Options? Opinions?

Hello all,

I'm looking for a Distorted Reality type sound pallet. Is Distorted Reality still the standard for these types of sounds? (I know its old, but the demo sounds GREAT!). Is it worth getting it for "Akai" format or just going with the audio CD? I use EXS & Kontakt, but dont have any experience building my own instruments yet.

I do own Atmosphere, which has some of those spooky noise effects, and I'd like to expand my library into more of the "Sound Effects" world. Im really just looking for something simple to throw in the background under my music, to give it more of a erie feeling. Any suggestions? Any free downloads that might get me by for this project?

BTW, there is someone selling the Audio CD on Ebay right now. Isnt that against copyright?

Thumbs up Re: Looking for a "Distorted Reality" type sound: Options? Opinions?

I would definitely recommend getting the Akai version. I have the K2000 version loaded into Giga, and it's well worth the keymapping. I'm sure the audio cd is great, but having the different pitches at your fingertips is priceless, especially when you're in the middle of a session and trying to find the best fit within a half step or two.
    The only downside to that library is the fact that it has been used so much and the sounds are very recognizable. Sure hope a Distorted Reality III is in the works.

Tim

Re: Looking for a "Distorted Reality" type sound: Options? Opinions?

I first brought Atmosphere but then found myself drooling with the demos of DR1 and DR2 and even Bizarre Guitars.

I thought that these were old so why bother. But I took a leap of faith, and never regreted since. These libraries are true classics and nothing can replace then.
    I definately recommend the AKAI verison also, you will see that you will be using these for many years to come.

I have both DR2 and Bizarre Guitars (basically DR3) converted to Kontakt. No regrets here either, Ive use them both on just about every project I do.

Edit: Actually, I also have Atmosphere but still find the other libs very useful. (if that helps.)
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

If you could only pick one of the two, which would you buy and why? (Sounds like an essay question ) Which is the best for "suspenseful" type sounds?

Bizarre Guitar is the great "unknown" Distorted Reality....not nearly as many people have it and it's really, really useful. It's got the most organic vibe to it and it always just "works" in a mix.

I'd recommend DR2 and BZG as that would give you the widest pallete. DR2 is very diverse and wide ranging.

From someone who knows them very well....

spectrum ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    If you could only pick one of the two, which would you buy and why? (Sounds like an essay question ) Which is the best for "suspenseful" type sounds?

Who am I to agrue with Eric? Yeah, DR2 would possibly give you more sonic range and definetely more of the creepy/suspenseful vibe.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Anyone know the best place to buy it? I've checked my normal "go-to's" like sweetwater and musiciansfriend, both do not carry it. The only other place I've found it is at MTLC Music (never heard of them, but they sell it for $189) I know Ilio sells it, but there is no information on shipping costs (looking for free shipping). I'm in CA, and would also like to skip out on tax if possible. Hey, I'm a student and trying to save every penny I can!

Thanks again for everyones help!!

You could call West LA music...they are usually pretty good about having our sample libraries in stock.

Almost all of the dealers don't carry the Akai libraries in stock though...However, they can all special order them through ILIO....including Sweetwater.

Just talk to a sales rep instead of searching through online catalogs....ordering it would be very easy for any Spectrasonics dealer. They just have to give ILIO a call and ILIO can zip it out to them...simple.

spectrum

Altered State is another pretty good "sound effect" type of library.

Go Back to forum