• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Mellotron sounds ?

Share/Bookmark

Mellotron sounds ?

Hi everybody

I'm looking for Mellotron sounds, the early 70's PinkFloyd-esque ,TangerineDream-esque type of sound. So far I found the G-media Mtron, and the IK-multimedia Mello-zone. Both demos sounded nice, allthough the Mtron seems more complete in terms of various sounds.
    Anybody know other sources (preferably exs24 or kontakt format, or stand-alone plugin) ? If someone owns the Mtron or the Mellozone , could you comment on it ?

Thanks alot

Re: Mellotron sounds ?

Try here too:

http://www.hollowsun.com/cds/newtron_page.html

This CD is S5/6000 format only. Also compatible with Z4/8 and MPC4000
    and any other sampler that can read S5/6000 programs. The MFI version will follow shortly.

The sounds included on the CD are listed below and represent the most popular of the tape banks used by Mellotronists. Click on the highlighted program names in the list below to hear short audio demos of each sound.

Tron Choir .... The classic eight voice male/female mixed choir as used by Isao Tomita and Tony Banks (Genesis) and many others. A mighty choral sound. 14.7Mb

Tron Violins .... The sound of three violins in unison. The famous 'Knights in White Satin' string sound. 18.5Mb

Tron Flute ..... The famous 'Strawberry Fields' flute sound. 18.4Mb

Tron Mixed Strings ..... Three violins and a 'cello an octave below - a seminal sound on Tangerine Dream's album, "Phaedra". 13.8Mb

Tron Boys Choir ..... The rare sound of a 15-voice boys choir recorded at St. John's Woods Church in Birmingham, England in 1971. 14.6Mb

Tron 'Watcher' ..... The famous mix of brass and violins used for the atmospheric intro to the Genesis classic, "Watcher Of The Skies". 15.7Mb

Tron Brass ..... A lesser known Mellotron sound comprising a mixed brass section playing in unison. 17.5Mb

The S5/6K NewTron Bomb CD costs $55USD (plus $8 worldwide p+p)

As far as I'm concerned, the Michael Pinder collection is definitive.
    You have to mail order it. It's a wonderful resource.
    http://www.mellotron.com/cdlist.htm

Sincerely,

Rob

You might want to check out this freebie before laying down any $$. I have only used it a little bit (and I do not claim to be an expert on mellotrons), but it sounds good to me.

http://www.dream.vortex.btinternet.co.uk/

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Michael Pinder one is good but the only thing I don't like about it is that it was sampled at 22K. Even though Mellotrons don't have harmonics above 10K I still don't like the sound of sample-playback at half the rate of 44.1. I wish they'd release a version of it at 44.1

There are a number of good mellotron samples on www.esoundz.com I am not sure if we put the ones we did for a group buy tron collection up yet for download but are going to be and that will allow you to download them ala carte as much as you want. You need to have SampleTank 2 or SampleTank 2 LE to read them though. We may also do them in EXS and other formats for download too. Check out www.esoundz.com

I've sampled Mellotrons and Chamberlins for Crowded House, Smashing Pumpkins, Aimee Mann, Jon Brion, T-Bone Burnette, Sam Phillips, Jellyfish, and these are some of those same samples that were used on their records and/or tours. That said, the MTron and Michael Pinder material has also been used on a lot of records and tours too. But, it's nice to have a variety.

I am a fan of Floyd too btw. They didn't really use a lot of Mellotrons though. More organs, pianos through Leslies, EMS Synthi, Prophet 10 (which I actually owned of theirs at one point, the one that was used on The Wall. I also owned the Moody Blues' Chamberlin M4) Arp string ensembles and wurly EPs... I have to research myself what Wright used on things like the solo on Welcome To The Machine though. Maybe a Moog. Anyone know?
    Dave from Sonic Reality
    sonicreality.com
    esoundz.com

Disclaimer: I work with a lot of companies in the MI industry. In case you want to know potential biases just ask. SR makes samples for nearly every sample format. eSoundz is an on-line retail outlet for sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids
    Michael Pinder one is good but the only thing I don't like about it is that it was sampled at 22K. Even though Mellotrons don't have harmonics above 10K I still don't like the sound of sample-playback at half the rate of 44.1. I wish they'd release a version of it at 44.1

There are a number of good mellotron samples on www.esoundz.com I am not sure if we put the ones we did for a group buy tron collection up yet for download but are going to be and that will allow you to download them ala carte as much as you want. You need to have SampleTank 2 or SampleTank 2 LE to read them though. We may also do them in EXS and other formats for download too. Check out www.esoundz.com

I've sampled Mellotrons and Chamberlins for Crowded House, Smashing Pumpkins, Aimee Mann, Jon Brion, T-Bone Burnette, Sam Phillips, Jellyfish, and these are some of those same samples that were used on their records and/or tours. That said, the MTron and Michael Pinder material has also been used on a lot of records and tours too. But, it's nice to have a variety.

I am a fan of Floyd too btw. They didn't really use a lot of Mellotrons though. More organs, pianos through Leslies, EMS Synthi, Prophet 10 (which I actually owned of theirs at one point, the one that was used on The Wall. I also owned the Moody Blues' Chamberlin M4) Arp string ensembles and wurly EPs... I have to research myself what Wright used on things like the solo on Welcome To The Machine though. Maybe a Moog. Anyone know?
    Dave , you mentioned you ve sampled Chamberlains.. Do you have a good lib. of that stuff that we could hear/buy..Ive been interested in Chamberlian forever and cant find any good stuff.. Best Rich

Rich,
    the Pinder collection includes Chamberlins too.
    It's a great set and sounds great.

Rob

there's also GMedia's M-Tron, which is supposed to be really good. I've never used or heard it.

http://www.gmediamusic.com/gforce/m-tron/mainmenu.html
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    http://www.markderrico.com

Hi

Forget the rest....get M-Tron.... Period!

Seriously.. you cannot beat it.... Warts and all!!!

Ty

I second that. It truly is an astonishing piece of kit. And so cheap too! Get it!

Nick

Go Back to forum