• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: First Views of Windows Vista (aka Longhorn)

Share/Bookmark

First Views of Windows Vista (aka Longhorn)

The next generation Windows release will be known as Windows Vista. Here are some screen shots that have been made public:

The Virtual Folders feature allows users to view documents that share a specific criterion.

Redesigned Start Menu

The Pictures and Video folder contains new information about a picture or video.

From CNET credit: Microsoft

Re: First Views of Windows Vista (aka Longhorn)

My old Linux box with KDE looked like that 2 years ago

Thumbs down Re: First Views of Windows Vista (aka Longhorn)

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    The next generation Windows release will be known as Windows Vista. Here are some screen shots that have been made public:

From CNET credit: Microsoft
    Oh goody.

More *$#*@! TRASH to have to turn off. On the off chance they deign to ALLOW me to turn it off. I HATE cute computers.

Sure wish Microsoft would go back to making OPERATING SYSTEMS!

Must have forgotten how somewhere between Razzle, Dazzle, Glitz, Racket, Clutter and the other two dwarves. What were their names?

Oh yeah, Bloat and Flaky.

I remain as always

Grumpy
    AKA:

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.S>

Sure wish Microsoft would go back to making OPERATING SYSTEMS!
    Microsoft have made an operating system?

I think it looks pretty cool. Now I just have to somehow mess up this computer so I can get a new one . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Hope they have a 'classic' mode for those of us not wanting to pay for the visuals in CPU cycles.

I don't care how the OS looks. I only care about functionality, effeciency, and stability.

C'moon guys - I think it looks really cool - to be able to have a close up picture of grass, rather than the distant shot of the rolling green field - why are you all being so negative?

The first thing I always do is switch to Classic Mode. (Although I can't at work - network - so have to put up with it there).

I guess that makes me an oldtimer!

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

I'm with LOW

I totally understand the points that M.A.S. made in his post.

It looks very nice,... and hey, it does look cool!

On the topic of negativity, I think we all know now that Microsoft and Apple's main marketing goals are based solely around computing for the consumer. Afterall, we are not using "professional" mainframe computers. These companies have realized that their sales/profits will go sky high if they can make a computer more appealing to the non-computer/internet user. It is up to us to set up our system to operate at maximum capacity and reliability regardless of the OS we use.

I think the more open minded we are about that, and the more we realize that these operating systems will ultimately streamline our workflow with music software, the better we will be at making music.

Bring it on Babe!

dpDan

Although I certainly understand the complexities from a developer's point of view, I was disappointed that they gave up on the redesigned file system where it essentially became a big database. Probably the largest area for improvement in computer systems these days is the ability to find what you're looking for as we acquire more and more data.

I wonder if the Virtual Folders is intended to at least partially address this issue. If so, it will be a welcome feature. Beyond that, I must concur with the general consensus. Each successive version brings more CPU intensive eye candy and adds more layers to dumb down the operating system so that dumb people can use it. I don't mind that so much, I'd love to see computers become as easy to use as toasters, but the additional layers to make it cute and user friendly typically impair the ability for those of use who know what we're doing to tweak things.

The fundamental problem is not with Microsoft, but the software industry. People develop software and sell it, but then to keep the lights on they have to keep selling new versions. It doesn't matter that there's no real justification in terms of functionality - the justification is financial. Unfortunately, I end up having to upgrade Windows at gunpoint because other software insists on having the latest and greatest...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum