• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help! The weirdest Giga bug of all time!

Share/Bookmark

Question Help! The weirdest Giga bug of all time!

Does anyone know how to fix this: In a drum set, my cymbals will play fine for about a minute. Then they will start cutting off after one second (sounds like a drummer choking the cymbal). This happens on other sustaining instruments (like Vienna's tubular bells, Timpani etc...). If I hit the audio reset button, it'll be fine but only for another minute. Also, they will play fine when soloed but not with other drums playing. I've got a pentium 4-3.0 Ghtz, 1 GB ram, separate drives, RME Digi 9636 card - all brand new. I've tweaked XP from the tips at musicxp.net, defragged the drives, played endlessly with the polyphony controls...

Here's where it gets really weird. They only way I've fixed this is to go into the editor and move the cymbal regions below C2. They will consistently play fine. If I move the regions back, it'll happen again. This happens on all 3 of my computers.

Re: Help! The weirdest Giga bug of all time!

Too strange. I assume that your computers all have the same hardware and drivers.

One thing you might look at (not that it will solve it) is the MIDI monitor in Giga. Then you can see if Giga thinks it's getting Note Off events from the MIDI side.

Also, have you pushed your poly count up to a good level in the settings?

-JF

Got It!

Thanks Jon,
    I did try the midi monitor and it wasn't that. As a last ditch effort and at the suggestion of Tascam Tech Support, I tried installing a clean version of XP and it seems to have solved the problem. What a pain! thanks for your concern.
    -Nick

Wow. If one machine had the problem, a clean XP install would make sense. But to happen to three???

Any idea how the three became identically affected?

-JF

No, I don't. The Tech at Tascam told me that certain makers (Dell, for instance) set their machines up for home use, not audio. They also have their own administrative tools etc... There might have been a bios thingy or something that they set that conflicts. Thank God it's over. Good luck with yours.
    -Nick

I have had this happen too. It comes and goes and can cure itself for a while - depending on voice usage. To me, it sounded just like the streaming buffers (coming off disk) were either jumbled up or corrupt - the first 0.5second or so would always play ok, but the rest would play random bits of other sounds.

I did two things and the problem seems to have gone away...

1) I defragged the data drive.
    2) Backed off on what I had loaded a little.

Quote Originally Posted by steved
    I have had this happen too. It comes and goes and can cure itself for a while - depending on voice usage. To me, it sounded just like the streaming buffers (coming off disk) were either jumbled up or corrupt - the first 0.5second or so would always play ok, but the rest would play random bits of other sounds.

I did two things and the problem seems to have gone away...

1) I defragged the data drive.
    2) Backed off on what I had loaded a little.
    This sounds not unlike the "bouncy sound" problem i had with one of my windows 98 machines awhile back. it was spec'ed to easily deliver the 160 voices in GS2.54, but would go haywire above 140 or so. (sounded like some bizarre aleatoric piece with different pieces of samples popping out all over the place). i could have backed off on the polyphony, but i got so frustrated with it that i replaced the mobo and processor with a P4 and an intel chipset mobo, and went with XP, and the problem went away.

i never figured out what the culprit was, but i always suspected the SIS chipset on the cheapo mobo, or the 1.7GHz Celeron. i did multiple reinstalls of everything, and the problem always came back. makes me want to pull my hair out just thinking about it.

no more cheapo giga machines for me!
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Quote Originally Posted by nickers
    No, I don't. The Tech at Tascam told me that certain makers (Dell, for instance) set their machines up for home use, not audio. They also have their own administrative tools etc... There might have been a bios thingy or something that they set that conflicts. Thank God it's over. Good luck with yours.
    -Nick
    That makes sense. I build my own machines, and forgot to consider off the shelf models. Some of them are seriously bogged down by junkware. The re-instal of XP is exactly the right solution.

May your PCs live long and help you prosper!

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Building your own machine sure has a lot of advantages for GS users.
    That's true for any multimedia user.

I once bought a motherboard that had a temperature monitor utility that used up 100% of the free cycles of the CPU! Had that been on a pre-fab box, you'd never get A/V to work correctly. Any junkware that pops up and steals your cycles unexpectedly can cause problems for us real-timers.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    The user might have to go out and buy an additional copy of XP.
    Nah, you don't have to do that. You can just use someone else's installer disc, and then use your liscense code that is found on your computer case, system restore disc, or original system documentation. I do it all the time with family members who have a compaq, dell, etc etc. It works fine. The only bummer is sometimes you can't get the drivers of some of the built in stuff.

Go Back to forum