• Register
  • Help

Topic: Comments RE: Jerry Wickam's "Enchanted Ballet" CD

Share/Bookmark

Comments RE: Jerry Wickam's "Enchanted Ballet" CD

Having listened to the CD version of Jerry Wickam's ballet, I can say that it has made me want to see the ballet all the more. Well, actually, I did get to see a ballet of sorts. I put it on to play, and all 5 of my children ages 1-6 started dancing shortly after the music started! Well, OK, the two 1 year olds can't dance, but they were both chewing on the speakers which I can assure you is their highest compliment! It would seem that this segment of his target audience was quite pleased. Should Jerry ever happen by Albuquerque, I can say for certain that he has a fan club here as his CD is most certainly getting a lot of airplay in our home.

What struck me, not having seen the ballet, is that the music conveys a strong sense of emotion even in the absence of the visual images. It was not hard to picture the scenes described by the titles/descriptions. As someone who loves and aspires to writing music that supports images (film and theater in particular) this recording has been helpful as I think he succeeds quite well in that regard. Jerry has commented on the mistakes that were left in as he had done this some years ago, but I found nothing that affected the spirit of the music in the least. I did notice at first that the mix was much more up front than I would normally do, but then it occurred to me that this was mixed to be played back in a performance space, which would provide I'm sure enough ambience and sound much more natural.

One thing that would be of particular interest to me is to get an idea of the working method involved when putting together a ballet. In film and theater (unless it is a musical) the music is usually one of the last things to go down. With ballet, it would be easy to imagine that the choreographer works to music? Just how does this work?

Anyway, thanks to Jerry for making this available, perhaps someday things will work out such that the DVD may become generally available for purchase.

Jon

Re: Comments RE: Jerry Wickam's "Enchanted Ballet" CD

Maybe I missed this, but how can we get a copy of Jerry's ballet. I really would like to hear it. Especially after Gary's rave review during dinner in Indy!

Help me folks. I wanna hear too!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Quote Originally Posted by jcbryson1
    One thing that would be of particular interest to me is to get an idea of the working method involved when putting together a ballet. In film and theater (unless it is a musical) the music is usually one of the last things to go down. With ballet, it would be easy to imagine that the choreographer works to music? Just how does this work?

Anyway, thanks to Jerry for making this available, perhaps someday things will work out such that the DVD may become generally available for purchase.

Jon
    Jon,

What can I say to THAT?
    Thank you for listening to the ballet and I am thrilled your children had fun listening and dancing to it. I think that once you get into the character pieces, the dancing is contageous!

As for the process. The music comes first. I wrote the ballet from October-December, 1994. The ballet was then given to the choreographer and she created the dances, sets, blocking, worked with the costume designer for costumes that would fit the musical descriptions as well as the dancers themselves, added or completely rewrote characters and dance scences that required new music and oversaw all the rest of the aspects of putting on a show like that. Then - she did it all over again this year! I re-orchestrated it with GPO, which in retrospect, took three times longer than it did to write the original ballet itself. That is due mostly, I suspect, to my severely limited hardware and all the MANY extra steps one has to complete to get the same results as those with faster equip. GPO is just a pleasure to work with. I can imagine with some real power, it is blissful.
    I am glad you commented on the mix. Yes, in the actual performance, the ambience from the theater added to that and it sounded a bit better - I suppose I could have added more for the "retail" version, but decided I had already spent too much time on it as it was.

The music doesn't ALWAYS come first. I had the unique opportunity to write a dance piece with some pre-conceived choreography that was taped. She created a recital type of ballet show for her students, where each piece was based on aspects of the Ecclesiastes "A time and a season." Each dance portrayed a different emotion or thing that follows the quote. She used various (classical and modern) composers who's works were not really meant for Dance, but lent themselves to it nicely. And she really is a great choreographer. She couldn't find any music that depicted the "time to laugh". But she already had in mind some of the movements she wanted, so she hired me to write a piece of music that would not only convey a humor and laughing, but also help the movements. It was a daunting task, but I did it. I guess it is akin to scoring a film, only this would be "Mickey Mousing" it. where every movement had a musical counterpart.

Anyway. sorry for the long reply.

Thanks again for listening and I can't thank you enough for helping a fellow musician out.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by brasspig
    Maybe I missed this, but how can we get a copy of Jerry's ballet. I really would like to hear it. Especially after Gary's rave review during dinner in Indy!

Help me folks. I wanna hear too!

Brasspig
    Don, (and anyone else interested - shameless plug )
    Thanks for your interest.
    You may purchase the Ballet CD for $10.00 plus $1.50 for shipping.
    email me at
    jwickham@frontiernet.net
    to set up payment and exchange info for shipping.

the above email is also my PayPal name. Just use that when paying and I will send it asap.

Jerry Wickham

Unfortunately, the DVD is not currently available to purchase. I am still trying to get the choreographer to go for it - The DVDs were meant primarily for the dancers and their families to enjoy, but I wanted Gary to see something that had been done using GPO. I hadn't anticipated the response generated by his thread praising the production and was unaware of the arrangement the Videographer and the Choreographer had as far as it being a finite and limited release. In fact, I gave all my originals out to people, thinking I could just order more. I was able to get one from one of the parents who bought more than she needed. Whew!

More on that AS SOON as something happens.
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum