• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2002 and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2002 and GPO

I am having a terrible time trying to get Finale 2002b to play more than one Kontact Players worth of Instruments. When I go to Kontact player 2 (9th instrument), it does not play. I have read the Finale tutorial and followed the setup a number of times. I must be missing something, because the playback in Finale always defaults to 16 channels in the Instrument Window and puts all like instruments on the same channels i.e. Flute 1 is on channel 1 and Flute 2 is on channel 1 as well.

I have made the expression assignments and saved them to a GPO Expression library in Finale's Library.

I have the midi advanced setup using all GPO players with proper channel settings i.e. GPO1 - 1-8, GPO2 - 9-16, GPO3 - 17-24 etc.

Can any one give me a suggestion?

Thanks

Rich Rayer
    If the problem is not me and due to the fact that Finale 2002 can't handle things correctly, than I will have to just bite the bullet and upgrade Finale.

Re: Finale 2002 and GPO

Okay, in case anyone else has tried to deal with this problem and couldn't, I did find a solution. I have read the turorial here and printed it out and followed the steps. No where was this part actually stated, so either I have mis-understood the tutorial or it was only designed for Fianle 2004 and newer.

In order to get each channel to play each staff in the score irregardless of similar names i.e. Flute 1 and Flute 2 normally in Finale will be played on the same channel, I have done the following:

In the Instrument Window (deop down choice in Window tab) name 64 new instruments:

GPO1 P1 (or anything, but this stands for GPO Kontact Player #1 and Player(slot) one of that player.

then continue:

GPO1 P2
    GPO1 P3 ... up to GPO1 P8

then

GPO2 P1 thru GPO2 P8

GPO3 P1 thru GPO3 P8 etc. (you should get the picture now.

Assign each of these instruments channels 1 - 64 consecutively.

Now what ever instrument you put into a player or have named at the beginning of each staff, Finale will only see different instruments for each staff and play whatever instrument is on that channel. I also set each new rument instrument as having no General Midi equivalent.

I haven't tried all 64 channels but 24 work just fine. And BTW I found that you can set the midi channels to 1-8 for each player in Finale and also in each Kontact Player - no need to use 9-16.

I didn't seem to get a response to my first message about this problem, so I'm assuming I might be able to help someone else out.

Rich Rayer

Rich,

Glad you figured it out. This is one of the new features in Finale 2006. When you use the setup wizard to create a score, Finale gives you the option of giving every separate instrument it's own midi channel.

There many, many, many other reasons why you should upgrade to Finale 2006 if you're using GPO. It'll make many tasks easier.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff. My brother just got Fianle 2006 upgrade and I will be visiting him to check it out. It sounds like his lite version of GPO doesn't have the same capabilities as my standard version of GPO, so I'm sure I will see the differences.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    Thanks for the reply Jeff. My brother just got Fianle 2006 upgrade and I will be visiting him to check it out. It sounds like his lite version of GPO doesn't have the same capabilities as my standard version of GPO, so I'm sure I will see the differences.

Rich
    The Lite version has less instruments. Just so you know, the GPO update that was posted a few days ago contains the "Finale" edition of GPO as a choice. With the Finale edition of GPO and Finale 2006, when you use HP playback, slurs are automatically changed into the correct GPO data. When you put a text expression like "pizz or mute" HP will automatically switch to the correct GPO sample.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. In Finale 2006, can the Standard Version of GPO be used instead of the lite version? I don't want to upgrade if I can't use the full range of instruments that I have now.

Rich Rayer

Simple answer = YES.

Advanced answer = you will need to copy and paste that GPO VST .dll into the Finale VST folder - and you would be best downloading the latest free GPO upgrade to ensure full campatibility
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Go Back to forum