• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Art of GPO - 10 seconds Tweaker's Contest.

Share/Bookmark

The Art of GPO - 10 seconds Tweaker's Contest.

While listening to some pieces on DEMO page I caught myself that I want to see how it was done by the author. I want to look at MIDI file and learn which controllers were used, how tempo was changed, how overlapping was done, what instruments were chosen etc.. I'm sure many of you can share the secrets of tweaking. We'll see that by looking at number of responses to the thread.
    Here are submission requirements and restrictions I've come up with.
    1. The entrant must be a registered owner of GPO. GPO Users are eligible (except officers and employees of Garritan Orchestral Libraries). The entry can be done on Mac or PC and in any notation program or sequencer of the entrant's choosing using the GPO exclusively.
    2. The submitted work must be an orchestration of 10 seconds excerpt from (insert the name of the composer's piece you'd like). PDF file of score will be provided. For those who doesn't read .MID file with general names of the instruments (1st Violins) may be provided.
    The entrant will submit 2 files:
    a) .mp3 file 128 Kbps - rendering must be done without any processing
    (without Reverb, EQ, Compression etc.). Only normalization is allowed.
    b) .mid file - 16 tracks with full name of the program used on each track.
    Only dry insrtuments can be used (no custom folders).
    The entrant isn't allowed to change Volume/Pan or something on GPO player interface. All tweaks should be done through CC.
    These files will reside on Gary's website as
    Entry01.mp3 Entry01.mid
    ----------------------------
    Entry32.mp3 Entry32.mid etc.
    After completion of contest everybody is allowed to download any of .mid files you like (this is the main idea of the contest - to dive under the hood and learn how it's done). To recognize your own entry you can insert some controller data at the end of the file (CC37=03 for example).
    4. Works will be evaluated by GPO forum members with a view towards orchestration, color, balance, and tweaking technique. The winner will be picked by users who will vote for only one anonymous entry by participating in Pool. It will be tricky because it's possible that you will not be able to identify your own .mp3 file.
    5. Entries must be received by ** pm on *****, 2005. Late entries will not be considered.
    Hey, what about prize? OK, I'd suggest free upgrade to GPO Advanced.

Would you participate in such a contest?
    sfiks

Re: The Art of GPO - 10 seconds Tweaker's Contest.

Sure. I'd love to show how easy it is to tweak a file using Overture 4.

Joseph,

As you are a fan of Overture and I am a fan of Finale, how about we show a like for like comparison of "straight playback", and "tweaked playback" (both through GPO obviously), and a .pdf of the engraving of a short orchestral excerpt - you using Overture 4, me Finale 2006.

We can post the .mp3's, .pdf's and notes on how we achieved our results, and an indication of how long it took to prepare.

This is a very friendly "challenge" - I am not trying to prove anything, just compare different software tools for the consideration of the forum.

How about it?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Sure. I guess. I'm not all that interested in 'score' output, but I can certainly try it and see. Of course, I don't want to do Overture 4 an injustice based on my lack of knowledge.

Cool...

For transparent fairness, I would suggest that we need "a third party" to nominate the music that we are to notate and record.

To "the forum" - is anyone interested in suggesting something? You will need to be able to post a .pdf of the part of the score that we are to work on - preferably something fairly mainstream that will have relevance to the core forum membership.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by sfiks
    Hey, what about prize? OK, I'd suggest free upgrade to GPO Advanced.

Would you participate in such a contest?
    I'm up for this even without a prize...but certainly won't turn one down, either! ;-)

I usually just use Overture SE, but have been trying to teach myself Sonar, so this would be a definite help to me. I've been hoping that we might get some of the better tweakers around here to do something similar over in the GPO Academy...maybe we can persuade the winner to write-up a short tutorial on their working method and flow and store that and the files over in the Academy.

...count me in!
    ;-)
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Go Back to forum