• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Virtual Grand Piano Preset loading problem

Share/Bookmark

Virtual Grand Piano Preset loading problem

This is confusing. Today, I received ART VISTA's Virtual Grand Piano, installed it, but could not load one preset. It can't find certain samples. By now, I uninstalled and installed it already three times but it's no use, the same problem keeps occurring. This is what happens. After loading about 50% of the preset a window pops up:

Could not find sample:
    virtual grand piano\virtual grand piano library\virtual grand piano part 2. nks\mp DX 4.wav

Auto Find? Find? Ignore? Abort?

By clicking the auto find or manual find I've been able to locate the "missing" sample:

Use the sample DX 4?

I click yes and another window pops up.

Could not find sample:
    virtual grand piano\virtual grand piano library\virtual grand piano part 2. nks\mp FX 3.wav

Auto Find? Find? Ignore? Abort?

It apparently misses another sample. Ok, same procedure, I click find or auto find. The search engine locates the sample and asks if I want to use sample FX 3? I click yes and then it the same window asks me the same question over and over again:

Could not find sample:
    virtual grand piano\virtual grand piano library\virtual grand piano part 2. nks\mp FX 3.wav
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm forced to click ignore but now it is looking for yet again another missing sample. There seems to be a lot of samples missing (as I could keep hitting the ignore button endlessly). Each time it finds the sample I click "USE" the sample but instead of using it and move on to the next one it keeps saying it could not find it. This doesn't make sense. So I click abort. I've not been able to play the piano yet.

If anyone knows what the cause of this could be I would be much obliged.

Thanks.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Re: Virtual Grand Piano Preset loading problem

Reading your post, it appears that all the missing wav files belong to "Virtual_Grand_Piano part 2.nks". If, as you say, you have already re-installed, with the same result, I'm tempted to suspect that either the installer isn't copying that .nks file correctly from the DVD-ROM, or even, that the DVD itself may be faulty. What is the size (in bytes) of that file once copied onto your hard disk? Here, it is exactly the same size as on the DVD-ROM, i.e. 2,090,959,790 bytes. If for you the file size is different, it is worthwhile trying to copy the file manually. Hope you get it sorted out quickly... you're missing out on a great piano! :-))

Alex,

It appears that for some reason the program files are not automatically pointing to the right location for the wav's. During installation there should come up a window asking you where you want to install the program, and where you want to keep the wav's.

When Kontakt doesn't find a wav it gives you the choice of finding it yourself, or "auto-locate" it. Both of the methods worked for you and the program went on to look for the next wav. To stop it from asking for each and every wave, there normally comes up a question during this process asking : "Load all samples from the same location?" You should say yes to that, and it will load them all from this location.

I believe though there was something in the installation process that caused the wav files to be installed in the wrong location. Did you have sufficient disk space in the location you indicated for storage?

Native Instruments has an email support line setup for inquiries like this. They may actually be better fit to answer these kind of questions. You will find the email addresses in the folded insert included with the VGP.

Best,
    Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions
    http://artvista.net/
    Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions
    http://www.artvista.net/

I tried to install the piano on my internet computer (only 512 MB) and, surprise, there were no problems there. I could load the presets, eventhough it told me to be cautious because my memory was on the low side. How is this possible? Anyhow, my internet computer is not my music computer so this doesn't help me much.

vic,

Thanks for looking into this. I've have problems loading samples from part 1 and part 3. nks also. I tried to install (fourth time now) the Virtual Piano with a different DVD reader but with no improvement. I also tried to copy them one at a time.

What are these figures you talk about. I do not recognize them. Here are mine (both files on DVD and hard disk are the same):

Part 1. nks : 2.037.098 kb
    Part 2 .nks : 2.041.953 kb
    Part 3 .nks : 1.957.964 kb

Whatever I do, the Kontakt Player can't find the samples.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Alex,

Does your installation look like this?

Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Adamson
    When Kontakt doesn't find a wav it gives you the choice of finding it yourself, or "auto-locate" it. Both of the methods worked for you and the program went on to look for the next wav.
    Hans,

That's the problem. It doesn't do that at all. Only once does it go looking for the next wav (namely, the first time you click "find"). After that a new wav is missing but this time the player keeps on searching for the same wav. It doesn't go onto the next wav anymore. And this is the confusing part: the player actually finds this wav but when I click "yes" (yes, use the found wav!), the same window pops up with the information this wav is missing and if it should find it, but it's always the same wave, till I click ignore. I click "find it"! He finds it! But it starts all over again! It's like it's stuck (but it's not). It's pretty weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Adamson
    Alex,

Does your installation look like this?

Identical!

PS: My disks still have room in spades.

I would think that uninstalling the instrument, and then installing it again would be the way to go first.

There most be some issue with either installation, configuration or hardware on this computer, since it is working on your other computer.

If an uninstall/reinstall will not do it, do you have the two computers networked so the problematic computer can read from the DVD drive on your other comp? (Edit: I just saw that you had already tried different DVD drives, which eliminates some reading problem from the DVD.)

Hans
    Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions

Hi again Alex,
    The more I think about this, the more it sounds like a problem with your file structures on your main machine than a problem with the actual installation of VGP (which was apparently perfectly succesful on your other machine, so the DVD must be o.k.).I presume you have no other problems with your computer's operating system itself?
    Do you have any other N.I. players, like GPO for example (any problems locating wave files there?)
    But, to answer some of your questions (although I'm pretty certain the files are o.k. on the DVD)..
    1) looks like the installer has faithfully copied the files (they are same size on both DVD and on HD)
    2) About those filesizes...Are you on Windows or Mac? (I'm on Mac). The Library files should be common (samples and presets) to both systems, but "Get Info" might not give identical results on both.. Your figures are in KiloBytes, and mine in Bytes. It should be as simple as multiplying your figures by 1024, but when I tried doing so with your figures, I obtained..
    part 1.nks: 2085988352 bytes
    part 2.nks: 2090959872 bytes
    part 3.nks: 2004955136 bytes
    so, not identical to on my Mac, but quite possibly explained by the difference in operating system. If someone else on Windows can confirm those file sizes.. if they match your own, then the files are probably o.k.
    Do you by any chance have Kontakt itself? If so, you can actually acces the individual wav files from the Browser, so at least you'd know if Kontakt considers them to be present or missing, even if the actual VGP preset can't find them.
    Btw, when you wrote, in your original post, "could not load one preset", do you mean, there is one preset that you cannot load, or that you cannot load any presets?
    I'm sorry I can't offer more constructive help after all that! But I'd steer towards doing some operating system/disk maintenance on your music computer.

Alex,

To make sure that this problem is resolved as quickly as possible, you should also contact the Native Instruments email support line. It is set up for the support of these Kontakt Players and they have the expertise and experience of solving any possible problems, such as this.

If you are familiar with how to perform disk maintenance such as disk defragmenting you may want to try and do that after having uninstalled and deleted all left-over folders. When the defrag is finished, try to install again.

Only do the disk defragmentation if you are comfortable doing it. There should be an automatic file system check before the defrag starts, and this may possibly resolve any configuration problems. I am just guessing now, along the lines suggested by Vic.

Hans
    Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions

Go Back to forum